Undercarriage rust prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pel

Threads
Greetings all. Can anyone verify the efficacy of POR15 for proofing the undercarriage of
LC100? Although I have had some under sealing work done on my 2002 under warranty (recently bought the car) there are areas “missed” such as the bits the bumpers are attached to. I am hoping to DIY the work. Any info will be much appreciated.
regards

Personally, I would avoid POR15 and sealers and instead spray on a rust converter followed by fluid film. I have seen sealers and POR15 trap moisture due to pinholes and completely rot out frames. . So, wire brush then converter followed by fluid film is the way to go. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks mate. Are there any other products that are comparable to fluid film? Also, does fluid film form a moisture barrier? Has it worked for your car?

Just my $.02, but fluid film is a mess and smells terrible. I like cosmoline based rust preventions. Dries hard and doesn't wash off so you only have to do small touch ups annually.

Thanks. Never heard of cosmoline products! Wonder if available in UK. Will have to look it up. Appreciate the help. Thing is, there are so many products. Hard to zero in on top 3 products/treatment that may last for a couple years before re-treatment.

Just my $.02, but fluid film is a mess and smells terrible. I like cosmoline based rust preventions. Dries hard and doesn't wash off so you only have to do small touch ups annually.

Thanks. This is intriguing! Must check it out.

Thanks mate. Are there any other products that are comparable to fluid film? Also, does fluid film form a moisture barrier? Has it worked for your car?
I’ve been fluid filming the undercarriages of my vehicles once a year for nearly a decade. It flat out stops rust. You should checkout @wngrog cruisers to see how great fluid film is.

I’ve been fluid filming the undercarriages of my vehicles once a year for nearly a decade. It flat out stops rust. You should checkout @wngrog cruisers to see how great fluid film is.

Another Fluid Film user here. Great results. I've even started using it on rims in the last 2 winters. They pick up dirt, but it wipes off easy at the end of the season with some degreaser. Here is a tip if you don't like the smell:

There is a new product (Surface Shield) that looks promising as well (warning sponsored ?, but in general I do trust this channel):

Another Fluid Film user here. Great results. I've even started using it on rims in the last 2 winters. They pick up dirt, but it wipes off easy at the end of the season with some degreaser. Here is a tip if you don't like the smell:

There is a new product (Surface Shield) that looks promising as well (warning sponsored ?, but in general I do trust this channel):

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Hi mate. What are pin holes? I am not very clued up on car mechanics. You sound like a knowledgeable guy. Just took this pic of my passenger side rear shock absorber, on the lower part. Looks like sort of cover but rusty

40FA504D-4EFD-4793-9E4C-E24E5B093343.jpeg

Hearing good things about Woolwax as well. Any thoughts?

I used POR15 on my rusty frame bits + fluid film inside the frame. I reapply fluid film in spring and fall. An interesting comparison of rust converters was just done on Project Farm. Definitely confirmed my por15 choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom