Under body rust protection (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi again just wondering what my options are with protecting my underbody from rust, she's already in pretty good nick, considering a 25 year old car but I've got time off for Christmas and want to do something to the 80

The two options I'm looking at are

Degrease , wire brush, rust convert any rust and chasis black. Which would be be the harder and more expensive option but would also look alot better (to those who look under on car )

Or there's also fish oil or lanolin I'm looking into which is a simple leave what ever grease is on there and spray away with a weed sprayer every 6 months or so
only problem I see is my car smelling like horse s*** or fish guts

Has anyone done either? And what is the prefered method?

WoolWax or a.......frisking mini stroke and senior moment......the other stuff that’s thinner. Crud, getting older is not for sissy’s!!

WoolWax or a.......frisking mini stroke and senior moment......the other stuff that’s thinner. Crud, getting older is not for sissy’s!!
Fluid Film......

So just spray it on and don't worry about it?

I 👀 it says it's "black" does it spray on like spray paint?

Most of the folks on here use a garden sprayer and the stuff I've seen is more of an amber looking than black. Maybe it depends on which version you buy.

The guys on the east coast use it a lot. Power wash the underside, let it dry, then spray it on. Typically twice per year. You can do it over grass and it won't kill it. If you do it over the driveway, it makes a more permanent mess unless you lay down plastic and set it up so the drips and overspray don't run out.

Wool wax stays on longer. Same company, different.....crap.

consistency.

bar and chain oil (chainsaw) and atf also works.

Been using Fluid Film for years. Stuff is amazing. You do not need to re-apply it every year. Only the high spray areas around the wheel wells need to be touched up here and there. That stuff is not going anywhere unless you put a pressure washer almost right on it to try and strip it off.

Been using Fluid Film for years. Stuff is amazing. You do not need to re-apply it every year. Only the high spray areas around the wheel wells need to be touched up here and there. That stuff is not going anywhere unless you put a pressure washer almost right on it to try and strip it off.
I Cant find the brand online in oz (was hoping to get it a local shop ) but it says its a Lanolin product, lanolin usually smells like cow s*** for about a week and dust sticks to it, I've only ever used it to spray machines with so no paint over spray sticks

I Cant find the brand online in oz (was hoping to get it a local shop ) but it says its a Lanolin product, lanolin usually smells like cow s*** for about a week and dust sticks to it, I've only ever used it to spray machines with so no paint over spray sticks
It does not smell anything like manure if that's what you are asking.

Maybe smells like a sheep on fire, but not cow s***.

Lanolin is oil from sheep's wool......

If they salt your roads, Woolwax or fluid film are gonna be your best friend In protecting from future rust. The idea is it that it provided a barrier so rust can’t form or continue to grow.

If they don’t salt, probably still good but clean up the 5% rust and call it good.

One of my buddies has sprayed the Woolwax in black and made a strong case against the black. Namely, it rubs off when you touch it and leaves you, your clothes, your kids, and whatever else “black.”

I’ve used the straw and it’s been good, not as pretty as the black. It is pretty durable for everyday use (rocks, touching, lifting withstanding) so you have to be intentional to get it off.

Shown below are two pics of my 100 getting the treatment and 1 of the 80 after a year of normal use, with several trips off pavement. It “collects”from the road and that helps thicken it up.
4AA83DB8-50F6-49AB-AD95-FE9E7582B9AF.jpeg
8FEB5BBD-B69F-4992-A424-3E6CAE42479A.jpeg
5D3A1706-57B3-4D41-850F-1449A5B45419.jpeg

Wool wax stays on longer. Same company, different.....crap.
Fluid Film and Woolwax are made by 2 different manufacturers but are similar products.
I believe there is still litigation going on between the 2, but that might have been settled by now.
Both come in standard "straw" color and black.
Personally, I like the way Fluid Film sprays with my paint sprayer better than Woolwax, but that's my preference. Here in the northeast either one will do, but if rust has taken hold, nothing will stop it. Treatments will only slow the progress.

I have used both and they are both great products...I am in Minnesota and if there's a spec of rust on anything and you run it during 1 winter with the amount of salt they dump on the roads here it will be rusted in no time. You do NOT have to spray every 6 months. Even here a good undercoating of the stuff lasts a couple of years. I just did my rig a couple weeks ago. It takes some time, use a good sprayer, be ready to get some overspray on you, and that's about it. It doesn't smell even when it burns off when getting some on the exhaust.

I have used both and they are both great products...I am in Minnesota and if there's a spec of rust on anything and you run it during 1 winter with the amount of salt they dump on the roads here it will be rusted in no time. You do NOT have to spray every 6 months. Even here a good undercoating of the stuff lasts a couple of years. I just did my rig a couple weeks ago. It takes some time, use a good sprayer, be ready to get some overspray on you, and that's about it. It doesn't smell even when it burns off when getting some on the exhaust.
Which product do you use in Minnesota? I'm in New York and my 2003 LX 470 has got a decent amount of rust on the under body and suspension...I want to address it ASAP. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom