Under body rust protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Which product do you use in Minnesota? I'm in New York and my 2003 LX 470 has got a decent amount of rust on the under body and suspension...I want to address it ASAP. Thanks
I've used both Woolwax and Fluid Film and basically they are they same. They both work great and last a couple of years. They even seem to bring back rust...what I mean by that is it neutralizes it and the rust is no longer evident and seen. See below post
Black woolwax is the ultimate option in my book. You get the protection plus it looks like you just powdered coated the entire underside.
Yes! Black Woolwax and the new black Fluid Film is awesome. It makes it look brand new. On my next coating this is the way I will go.

Love fluid film. Our Toyota that spends four months a year in Tahoe is rust free thanks to the stuff. I hot blast the undercarriage and reapply every year. I once skipped a year and it still had that gloss and no rust so you might get away with every other year.

I can’t help but notice that there is no rust where the oil from an old leak rests on the frame and under carriage so I decided to brush on some used engine oil. We’ll see how that works. It’s gotta be better than nothing 🤷‍♂️

Hi again just wondering what my options are with protecting my underbody from rust, she's already in pretty good nick, considering a 25 year old car but I've got time off for Christmas and want to do something to the 80

The two options I'm looking at are

Degrease , wire brush, rust convert any rust and chasis black. Which would be be the harder and more expensive option but would also look alot better (to those who look under on car )

Or there's also fish oil or lanolin I'm looking into which is a simple leave what ever grease is on there and spray away with a weed sprayer every 6 months or so
only problem I see is my car smelling like horse s*** or fish guts

Has anyone done either? And what is the prefered method?
I live on the coast and occasionally drive my cars on the beach. After much trial and error I found boiled linseed oil works well on my chassis, it smells nice, soaks into the rust and dries in about 3 days to form a clear latex like coating that lasts a long time. Just bear in mind that you cant paint over it, so probably clean it all up and paint it black first to make it look nice and then coat it all in the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom