UCA upgrade suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm at the point where I'm ready to replace the UCAs on my LX470. I'm looking at the SPCs, Total Chaos, and Nitro UCAs, and I'm wondering what people think of the SPCs. I've read a few threads about the TCs and the Nitros, but I can get the SPCs for about $100 cheaper than the Nitros. Has anybody had any bad experiences with these? I know Slee sells them, so they must not be total garbage, but I'm looking for somebody's real experience.

I have replaced the AHC with Ironman foam cell pros (which I'm very happy with), but I've recently developed some crazy loud squeaking on turning and with any suspension movement in the front. I know I have some play in the UCA pivot bushings, which I suspect may be the culprit of the obnoxious noise. So hopefully I can kill two birds with one stone by killing the noise and getting back into alignment with new UCAs.

From the reading I have done it seems like they are pretty good however there have been some unsatisfied customers that have stated issues on here (couple different threads for UCAs). There is also the @TRAIL TAILOR UCAs as well that are of equivalent price and J makes excellent quality stuff.

Thanks for the tip @gregnash. I've never heard of Trail Tailor, but after looking at their stuff, they make some pretty sweet goods. Not to mention they have the diff drop bracket for $200 right now, which is the cheapest I've seen one. Maybe I'll knock that out too while I'm on a spending spree haha

Thanks for the tip @gregnash. I've never heard of Trail Tailor, but after looking at their stuff, they make some pretty sweet goods. Not to mention they have the diff drop bracket for $200 right now, which is the cheapest I've seen one. Maybe I'll knock that out too while I'm on a spending spree haha
Yup. Jason is a long time member, plenty of Land Cruisers and good guy to boot. I am planning a pilgrimage to his shop sometime this year to grab a Diff drop from him.

I've thought about replacing my SPC's at some point in the future. I currently have SPC and despite all those negative claims they're still a very reputable company. On top of that, I haven't had a single problem with them and I actually just cleaned and regreased those joints about 2wks ago.

Jason is @TRAIL TAILOR and will be who I go to for my next set.

Last edited:
I just installed a set of the new Nitro UCA's on my LX. Too soon to tell yet on improved articulation, but the ride is very nice, and they are definitely built well. I'd personally go with TT, or the new Nitro UCA's.

Get the new Nitro Long Travel UCAs. They moved away from the problematic polymer bushings and went back to rubber. Much nicer than the previous Nitro UCAs (which I have and love.....except for replacing the polymer bushings every 18 months). They are more expensive than the other options. But, I don't think there is a better solution out there. Those are what I'm going with once my budget replenishes.

Don't go with SPC - too many of us have had issues and - rumor has it - they're not too empathetic to our complaints.

Alright so I'm basically between the TTs and Nitros at this point. I did notice that in the pictures, the TT's don't have a bracket for the ABS sensor. I've emailed sales already to ask about it, but am still awaiting reply. Does anybody know for sure if the Trail Tailor UCAs do or do not have an attachment point built in?

Alright so I'm basically between the TTs and Nitros at this point. I did notice that in the pictures, the TT's don't have a bracket for the ABS sensor. I've emailed sales already to ask about it, but am still awaiting reply. Does anybody know for sure if the Trail Tailor UCAs do or do not have an attachment point built in?
Calling @TRAIL TAILOR !!

Nitro UCA's are supplied by Roadsafe.com.au

Roadsafe is a major distributor of off-road parts in Australia. Most of their parts are made in overseas/Asia... very likely their UCA's too. If they were made in Australia, you bet they would advertise it as such. They sell under their own brand/line called Blackhawk. They were also known as "Autocraft UCA's" and others. Dobinson too.... but I don't see the LC100 version yet.

I remember one person on the Aussie forums saying the Blackhawk ball joint is indeed clocked but when they measured the range, it was almost 10 degrees less than the OE ball joint. I don't know if that was an older version or what... but I would be interested in another test.

You can buy a pair of Blackhawks all over Australia for USD$430/pr but you'll have to find a way to re-ship it to the States.

SPC's UCA.... I've been running them for the past 35k miles on the original ball joints, no squeaks. I've been spoiled by the +4 degrees of caster and will not consider any other arms unless they can also give the same amount. I have heard of members having short-lived ball joints and I just checked mine last week and they are still tight. They now come with an "improved" ball joint. The only issue I've had is the ball joint getting knocked out of alignment. I retorqued it to 175 ft lbs and it has been fine since.

The TT arms look great. And Jason's customer service and forum presence is one of the best! I just want more caster...

I bought SPC. I had the defective ball joint or the earlier models, and started making a horrendous noise after about 6000 miles. It was finger-loose. They replaced it with the updated, greaseable model. The camber adjustment plate is prone to moving, even with monster torque value they specify applied. The bushes are now greaseable after correcty problems with them going dry and wearing prematurely (I assume). I had to have my 100 re-aligned after the defective ball joint replacement and the camber adjustment moving. $100 per alignment.

If I was to do it again, I would pass on the SPC's

I do like the ability to adjust the caster for 4 degrees, which tracks well down the road. I reality, I think 3 degrees would be fine if you can get that from the others

Nitro, no question. The newest batch definitely allows more movement than the SPC's (i've had both).

On my TT UCAs, they do not have the ABS sensor bracket (I got these fall 2019). I used a zip tie to secure my ABS wire in place. No issues after 3k miles or so.
Do the TTs have poly or rubber bushings? Also, I noticed a zirk fitting on the pivot joints. How often do you grease these? On the TCs with poly bushings, you risk damaging the bushings by over-filling with grease without loosening the pivots first. I don't necessarily care to have another component that needs regular greasing, especially if I'm going to have to loosen and retighten my UCAs to do it. I know it sounds picky, I just want to know as much as possible before pulling the trigger on anything.

Jason's your man,
I had TC on for a couple years and never got the poly bushings to stop squeaking. had them on and off countless times using the silicone grease they recommend, leaving the nut loose while greasing nothing helped! Oh wait, one thing helped, put Jason's on and kick myself in the butt for all the embarrassing times people were asking me what the hell is wrong with my cruiser.

Are the new rubber Nitros rebuildable? I have the old design and I have been happy with them.

Do the TTs have poly or rubber bushings? Also, I noticed a zirk fitting on the pivot joints. How often do you grease these? On the TCs with poly bushings, you risk damaging the bushings by over-filling with grease without loosening the pivots first. I don't necessarily care to have another component that needs regular greasing, especially if I'm going to have to loosen and retighten my UCAs to do it. I know it sounds picky, I just want to know as much as possible before pulling the trigger on anything.

Per Jason, I will be greasing them at my oil change interval about 5-7.5k. I don’t believe one needs to loosen the pivots. I think since they are Curie joints and thus poly bushings? But hopefully Jason can clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom