UC ≠ Upstate COVID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
This was emailed to everyone on the current club roster (including those due for renewal that are no longer getting the normal monthly newsletter). Because of non-members, spam, unknown email updates, or just plain old overloaded inboxes, I thought it appropriate to post here. If you did not get the email, and thought you should, please send me a PM.

-------------------------------------

First, I hope everyone is doing well and maybe taking a step away from the doomsday headlines. If these emails aren't just going into your spam folder, you know I typically keep it brief and limited to Land Cruiser/club topics. We are not in typical times, so I thought it important to send this.

1584663714035.png

There are lots of opinions and predictions out there, so I will spare you that, but we can probably agree that the situation we are in is a departure from where we want to be. It is a fact that some will not come out of this better than when it started. Whether that is health or wealth, we are faced with the reality of change. We can also take stock that this is not the first problem a people has faced head on and beaten. How we react can be the difference in success and failure.

1584663756953.png

I am not going to kid anyone that Upstate Cruisers is going to rally together to be the pivotal force in beating this issue. We are too small, and the problem is not even clearly defined as to whether it is the illness itself or economic impact in response. I do hope that everyone that is able will take an active role in doing something for the better.

Take care of yourself and family first, then consider friends and neighbors that may need assistance. Local small businesses are being hit hard with customer traffic grinding to a halt (many are club members themselves). Here is my ask as it pertains to Upstate Cruisers:

1) Connect - Check in on Mud and let everyone know how you are doing. At least a post on the UC Chat thread. Need help? We may have someone willing. Want to help? The club may be an avenue to do that.

2) Shop local - Whether it is a to-go order for some grub or some work being done, local businesses need a little help right now to keep the lights on and paychecks flowing. A photo of your vehicle at the business shows off your wheels and lets others know they are open. Don't have social media? Send us the pic and we will post it for you. The Local Business thread on Mud is also a great spot to share among the group. Obviously our friends Trollhole's and Southeast Overland are ready to serve you.

3) Make the most of it - I never heard the term Social Distancing until recently. Apparently they finally named how I spend my life, but we all need to get out and do something before cabin fever gets us too. Use the Destinations thread on Mud to share or inspire activities that others can do. Maybe a waterfall hike, maybe a clean park. We are not meant to stay inside and hide.

In a year we may look back and laugh at this, or look back and feel lucky to have survived. We don't know and the headlines can lead you to either prediction. This can be a defining time and hopefully this small club can contribute something.

Overcoming adversity can be a great thing to read about afterwards, but may not be the best to participate in. You have a Land Cruiser though, so there is already an advantage, and time for a good book. If you need a recommendation, "Guns, Germs, and Steel" or the Bible could be good reading right now, and maybe an oil change before our next adventure together soon. Looking forward to riding with you.

Bryan
1584663961207.png

Thanks Bryan, well said. I don’t recall reading anywhere that we were supposed to lock ourselves in our house. This might inspire me to renew my UC membership

Thanks Bryan, well said. I don’t recall reading anywhere that we were supposed to lock ourselves in our house. This might inspire me to renew my UC membership

I just renewed mine, and I’m looking forward to the next outing, whenever it is. I’ve been “quarantining” myself out in the woods. Not locked in a house, and no other people, just how I like it lol

I was in New Orleans a week ago at a trade show. Found out that two people with confirmed cases of Covid-19 were walking the show. Now I am in self-isolation for two weeks... I'm getting a lot of little projects done around the house.

We are certainly living in uncertain times. My wife and I are both in business and are being effected in different ways. Her business is restaurant upholstery. She is experiencing the full range of effects to the business. Her big concern is for her employees. Some customers are taking this opportunity to have more work done while their dining rooms are closed to patrons while others are canceling orders. Overall her business is down. The restaurant business over all is taking a huge hit. Most are located on prime commercial property with leases that are considerable. Estimates are that if this lasts 3-4 months 40% of local small establishments will not be able to weather the storm.

My business is a little different. I have two big jobs in the shop now that are OK so long as my customers are still financially OK and the parts train keeps on rolling. But, inquiries regarding new work has dropped off to zero since the outbreak. This is usually the time of year that interest picks up. So for me, the effect will come a little later than others, but it is coming.

The over all effect is indeed trickle down. We were planning on a new hay barn in April, that is on hold. So we will not be buying tons and tons of gravel and not be buying the new barn. This impacts two other businesses and their staff. I was also planning on finishing up another barn on the property, I wont be buying those building materials and one piece of equipment, an auger for the tractor. Again, those businesses will also lose business.

There has been talk of a recession for a year or so now, we are due as we have experienced the longest growth period on record. It is here and no one knows how deep it will cut. Best we can do is keep pushing forward and help out those that you can. Keep what money you can local. Help those most directly effected by this the most.

Keep the faith gang :) see ya'll on the other side.

Had our office and warehouse treated/sanitized by this company this week:

Just got text asking if I had heard that SC National Guard mobilized for full shut down on Monday....anyone else aware?

I'm still around. The shop is still cranking out vehicles as best we can. Social distancing and keeping employees in different areas of the shop has been difficult. Also being down two techs has hurt. I let one go and the other was called into the Reserves till May. But fortunately another former tech who was furloughed has come back at least for a couple weeks and I hired another tech a week ago. So things will start flowing better. I've probably got a years worth of work at the shop so that should keep us busy for a while but I have noticed a drop in the general maintenance vehicles. New office manager and new shop manager have certainly helping in being more organized and being more transparent on communications. That will only get better as we get the system bugs out. I'm ready to move the company into a new chapter. We have been held back too long.

I've been trying to get a small business administration disaster loan (all of them). I've spent a week doing nothing but paperwork trying to get something so I can just send my employees home and they can get paid. I'm not a fan of working through this but until I can get some sort of aid I cannot afford to send them home nor could they afford not to work. Hopefully all this will work out. I talked with my bank about the employee wage pay program but even though I have funneled millions of dollars through Bank of America they denied me because I don't have a credit card with them. Crazy to think that. So now I'm forced to spend more time trying to find another potential source. I still haven't heard from the SBA about my initial application I sent in a week ago. Even though our president says small businesses are getting loans in hours he is dead wrong. I'm so disappointed in him right now as well our states Governor. I don't have time to listen all day to what he might or might not say. He has been just as slow to give a clear and concise answer as to what they want us to do and what they are thinking about doing in the future to give us time to plan.

My rant for the day. Got to get back to cleaning my office.

Good to hear you are kicking Marshall. I have no doubt that govt (our/your) money doesn’t flow as it should. Gonna stay away from politics here and the monstrosity of involvement on both sides and all levels. We can vouch for the work that you do as being works of art so you can file for some of that $75M that went to the National Endowment for the Arts. 😐

Posted from local biz North American Rescue. (The caption isn’t true, but the message fits)
1586111728413.png

I am concerned about the mixed messages for facial coverings. Previous guidance was no masks for general public. Late last week the CDC changed that, citing that infected individuals are walking around without symptoms and don’t know they are spreading it through sneezing, coughing, and even normal speech. A facial cover isn’t about filtering air to prevent breathing in the virus, it is a block from asymptomatic, infected individuals from expelling it. However the guidance stops short of requiring masks in crowds or general public so will do very little to change what is happening now.

Don’t know anything about printing supplies in a sanitized warehouse, but I do have several Scout Troops in York and Chester Counties sewing masks and donating to nursing homes, churches, and shelters. Over the last week I’ve collected more than 70yds of donated fabric.

Don’t know anything about printing supplies in a sanitized warehouse, but I do have several Scout Troops in York and Chester Counties sewing masks and donating to nursing homes, churches, and shelters. Over the last week I’ve collected more than 70yds of donated fabric.
Awesome! The 3d print thing is just an example, needed supplies will vary. Seems like the sewn masks are more in demand in general.

I found this contact for Spartanburg Regional this morning and will contact to see what we can do if I get some willing feedback. Thinking at least some of the logistics piece for moving supplies where needed. The only reason I haven't already is club response to anything Sparkle City has been pretty light. So either raise your hand or maybe we can find a GVille option.

For anyone wanting to personally, communitycares@srhs.com is the contact.

My wife has a few guys that work for her that are 3D printing plastic nose pieces for face masks at home. Apparently these pieces were originally coming from China and are currently not available.

Maybe print something like what a ball cap uses to adjust but make it long enough to attach either side of the mask to with a button on either end. Some healthcare workers are having sores develop on their ears due to the straps. Or sew buttons on elastic hair bands to attach the mask. This will give their ears a break.

I've been trying to 3D print some mask retainers but found the PLA filament to be too stiff... I've ordered some TPU filament that is more flexible - hopefully not TOO flexible to retain the elastic. My wife has been pumping out masks and refuses to show me how to use the sewing machine. It actually looks kinda fun... She's been making them for our coworkers, family, and friends and has a bunch to donate to the hospitals. Looks like we'll be wearing masks when we return to work... BTW, I stopped in Joann's the other day to pick up fabric for her as well as 3D printer filament - y'all would not BELIEVE all of the wicked designs folks are coming up with for these masks! I'm truly impressed.

Maybe print something like what a ball cap uses to adjust but make it long enough to attach either side of the mask to with a button on either end. Some healthcare workers are having sores develop on their ears due to the straps. Or sew buttons on elastic hair bands to attach the mask. This will give their ears a break.
These are being made to help with basic face mask fatigue.
1586446061256.png

My company was contacted by Prisma to see if we could help source some disposable face masks...turns out we can and are also working to secure a supply for some of our clients. This is hopefully going to allow us to keep everyone employed as our uniform sales are down 50% the last 3 weeks! PM me if your company has a need as we are working to get more.

Some time ago a local government official was talking about washing his hands. There were no pastel ladened church services, egg hunts, or large ham dinners with friends and family. Something big was happening.

Happy Easter everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom