Events/Trails UC Over the Mountain Tour (OTMT) 2019 - 8/22-25 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
UC's signature event is fast approaching. I will let Marshall update the specifics, but note that this year's is a Thursday start.

Marshall's posts.

First This is a fluid event. I've scoped out a bunch of trails but until I see who and what we have each morning will determine what we do and where we go. So posting some places we are going has been tricky mainly because I don't want you going someplace we are not committed 100% to. So things can change and if they do and I have service please know I'll get the changes posted here. Also understand that I will stick to these places and times. I will not leave you behind but also understand if you are late I cannot hold back the group just for you. Most likely as the event progresses on we will have more and more people joining us and I will eventually start giving people options if they want to skip certain places and just go on to the campsite for the night. 20 trucks on Saturdays trail is a lot at one time and I'd like to stagger us in 5 at a time there will be people hiking on the road and I don't want to cause too many waves.

Food
Plan on bringing your own food for thursday and friday (except for dinner). Saturday morning Breakfast will also be provided at the cabin. As far as what to cook with you don't need to bring a stove unless you absolutely want to. I will have a giant 3 burner stove for breakfast and dinner every day. It has two griddles and a grill as well as space for a pot. SO don't bring something you don't need. That being said if you require a lot of grill time then bring something. I'm leaving any pots and pans to you. Also Friday night and saturday morning there is a 3'x3' griddle at the cabin as well as a weber charcoal grill. You don't need anything for those two nights even if you don't want to eat what we eat. Plenty of room.

Club is picking up the tab for Taco's friday night and eggs, bacon and potatoes Saturday breakfast. There will also be coffee Saturday morning.

Places to meet

Thursday

Meeting spot for those that want to hit a grocery store on Thursday at 1pm. Ingles off hwy276 in Travelers Rest, SC.

Those that are coming from a different way and don’t want to backtrack.
When you get there just go down the road to the bottom parking lot and wait for us.

Friday

Friday morning
If you can get out to the spot above by 10am that morning then come and join us. Just wait for us to come out and make sure we see you in the lower parking lot. I don't have an exact time we will be coming out so you might have to wait. If you miss us just go to the cabin. If anyone you don't know asks who you are just tell them you are with Marshall and I'll be there that evening.

Friday evening
Come to the cabin. It's not hard to get there but it is a little tricky at the driveway because there are three ways to go. You want to stay left which is pretty much straight up a small hill past a shed, two bunkhouses, a rock climbing wall, around the backside of showers and then you will dead end into the cabin. It will be hard to miss it as I believe it's the only structure in the area with 6ft x 6ft windows. There will be a lot of vehicles coming so please do not take a ton of space. We will most likely park around down near the fire pit and in the parking lot as well as up the driveway. I'll do my best to give those camping in trucks a flat spot but if not we have wood to level trucks out. Cabin has a bathroom but it's not super private right now. I'll try and keep us out of the cabin at certain times so people can go do their business. It has a door but everything can be heard. There are places to sleep inside but I would rather leave it as a hangout place as there are no walls inside. There is power and water.

Cabin Location
Deleted

Saturday

Meeting place will be at the cabin if you can get there by 9:30am.

Trails and other things to know

I cannot promise you won't get any damage. I will also say that Thursday and Saturday camping locations are on state and federal lands where alcohol is prohibited. I will not tell you what you can't do as we are all adults and I will let you make your own decision but know you are ultimately responsible.

Trail on thursday will have some small branches like blueberry bushes. We have never had damage but then again trails change over the years. It's over 12 miles long. If you get car sick it's not the trail for you as it has a lot of switchbacks. It's not usually hard since half of it is gravel now. It's possible you may need 4WD but I doubt it. Any cruiser can make it down and back on this road. We will be attempting to camp on a river thursday night. We should have plenty of space for tents and such. I will have the stove and the club canopy with me.

Fridays trails will be somewhat of an unknown. But it will involve a lot of pavement and some decent wheeling. Nothing super hard. It is possible some people might split off and explore one area we haven't had a chance to look at. The goal is to make it to the cabin by 5pm.

Saturday Those daring enough to swim bring a swimsuit and towel. The water is super cold but it's an amazing pool within a hundred yards of parking. Bring some sort of sandal you can wade in the water with. Rocks can be slippery and small kids and any pet needs to be held on to as the stairs are steep. But it has always been a ton of fun and a great chance to clean up before the grand finale that afternoon.

The trail going to camp on Saturday is the one that causes the most problems. Do not attempt it if you like your paint or at least wax it up prior to going. It's not super hard but it's not easy as well. It has a lot of rocks and about a dozen obstacles to get over. We will be splitting the group up. If you don't want to take a chance throw your stuff in one of the other trucks, park your truck at the parking lot at the beginning of the trail and ride along and don't worry. I've driven an unlocked and unlifted 80 series up this trail dozens of times. Please also be aware that one of us made the mistake of saying you would get light pinstriping from all the branches in the trail. There is nothing light about it as you will get pin striping. It will fold your mirrors in in some sections as well some areas of the road are not as wide as the vehicles. But the camping spot at the end is worth it. Trust me. Again I will have the grill and I suggest you use it. Do not cook in your tent, don't have food in your tent don't let your small children run around in the brush unattended. There will be bears in camp at night. I can assure you of this. The area is full of blackberries and the bears are usually around to eat them. We have never had an issue with them but there is always a first. Usually the dogs are a big deterrent. We will be leaving a little before lunch but it's possible some people want to stay later.

Come prepared for everything.

It's hot right now and it may be shorts weather Thursday through Friday but all of that can change quickly. Be prepared to sleep and be in 40 degree weather and also there could be rain so bring rain gear. Do not make the mistake of just bringing shorts or no rain jacket. We are in the mountains and anything can happen. Also don't bring a crappy tent Saturday. It's possible the winds won't be an issue but usually they are. A 14 person coleman tent will be pushing it and most likely not be intact at some point. We will have the club canopy out only if it can be used and not end up in Hendersonville by the morning.

Pets

Pets are welcome. I suggest having them on a leash or at least having a leash just in case. Also if your dog, cat gerbil has problems around other dogs or people leave it at home or kennel it.

PPal ($25 for members, $35 for non-members) to info@upstatecruisers.com (We are friends, right? So we can do without the fees?) and post here that you are coming and what size shirt you need. One spot per vehicle. Sorry, no refunds unless the event changes. The entry includes the shirt and a sticker. Any funds left over will go towards group supplies.

A limited run of additional stickers will be available on the event for purchase. $3ea or 2/$5.

If you have been on this trip, you will recognize the background of this image. If you haven't been, you need to!

Let's go!
1: @Trollhole (XL) - Paid
2: @Bryanseye (L) - Paid
3: @ceby (XL Tri) - Paid
4: @Southeast Overland (M) - Paid
5: @AJR (L) - Paid
6: @CharlestonG8R (XX) - Paid
7: @Carp (M Tri) - Paid
8: @forrest5000 (M, M Tri) - Paid
9: @BillWright -
10: @IcutYourCruiser (M) - Paid
11: @ClemsonCruiser (XL) - Paid
12: @JToobe (XL) - Paid
13: @the gimpey one (XL) - Paid
14: @dmark84 ( ) - Paid
15: @aquatech3 (XL Tri) - Paid
16: @Whiskerz (L) - Paid
17: @Salty Dog - Paid
18: @BMThiker (S Tri) - Paid
19: @yamaguchigumi (L) - Paid
20: @Twinair (M Tri, L reg) - Paid

Wait list
Open

Starting today the pre-buy shirt deal is closed. Trip merchandise is now available from Reefmonkey with the added options of hats and performance apparel. Upstate Cruisers
1565281000147.png
1565281106974.png
1565281177601.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in

@Bryanseye would I be alright with a stock sequoia on this? Don’t want to be slowing up the group or anything.
Marshal knows the specific route that is being planned more, but from experience you would be absolutely fine up until the very last leg. That "road" is very tight with brush and a few rocky obstacles. You could make it, but minor cosmetic damage is almost guaranteed in a Sequoia, with the possibility of worse. Many have left their vehicles in the parking lot and ridden in with others to be safe (which is fine unless your car alarm goes off and a protein deficient hippy can't sleep).

No excuses for me. Want to make Friday and Saturday night.

Shirt info added and I will update the list with your order (so yell at me if you send money and I don't update it cause I might have missed it). Shirts will be ordered a few weeks out to ensure that they get here in time. After that Reefmonkey will have them available for individual orders.

No excuses for me. Want to make Friday and Saturday night.
Let me know when to add you to the list.

Please put me on the list with at least one junior cruiser head

Im in

I'm very much on the fence with this. As many of you know, the wife and I are expecting twins this fall. This is the reason I haven't been to any events lately. She can't really keep up with a toddler right now, so I haven't been able to leave her alone really. Due date is October 5th, but they will be here in September sometime if everything goes well. I'm sure by this point she definitely will need me at the house and I don't really want to be far away, or out of cell range.

Hoping to be able to make our trip in October to the Parkway and bring Wesley with me and have her mom or my mom stay with her and the twins then.

I'm very much on the fence with this. As many of you know, the wife and I are expecting twins this fall. This is the reason I haven't been to any events lately. She can't really keep up with a toddler right now, so I haven't been able to leave her alone really. Due date is October 5th, but they will be here in September sometime if everything goes well. I'm sure by this point she definitely will need me at the house and I don't really want to be far away, or out of cell range.

Hoping to be able to make our trip in October to the Parkway and bring Wesley with me and have her mom or my mom stay with her and the twins then.
Absolutely understood.

Sign me up should have the wife and little baby with me we may just head home a little early on that last leg sequoia is still to nice so trying to avoid damage. Can you pm me your PayPal @Bryanseye?

I’m in and most likely will have the family in tow. Will be my first UC event in about half a decade looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom