Turn signal makes RPM fluctuate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all. I am a long time lurker. Solved many problems with this forum. But this one is strange.

I have a 99 landcruiser.

If I use the turn signal the following happens at any speed:

-The RPM fluctuates (drops) 800 RPM with each blink and returns to normal after the blink
-The cruise will disengage with the first blink

If I am parked and use the turn signal with the brake pedal up:
-The transmission bypass switch will disengage the shift lever lock with every blink

I have tried to find what these systems have in common. The only thing I can find is a grounding block behind the driver's fuse panel. Which appears to be good. Its free of corrosion and grounds and all points.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and no idea is a bad idea.

Battery or alternator are weak.
Have them both tested. My thinking is the battery is not fully charged and the extra load causes the alternator to put out more juice which increases the rpm.
I could be totally off base, but having them tested is free so that's where I'd start.

Battery or alternator are weak.
Have them both tested. My thinking is the battery is not fully charged and the extra load causes the alternator to put out more juice which increases the rpm.
I could be totally off base, but having them tested is free so that's where I'd start.

I haven't looked at it from that angle. I'll have it tested tomorrow.

Thanks

Corroded grounds? Not sure where you're from and if rust is an issue but that's where I would start.

Whereas charging system and ground was my first though, as I read "disengage the shift lever lock" I'm thinking this could be something more. We've seen many strange reports of gremlins with weak charging issues, but first I've heard of this.

Any other issues like buzzer sound with E brake on? or anything strange?

Last edited:
When self diagnosing always remember to...

K-eep
I-t
S-imple
S-tupid

I had the alternatir and battery checked. The shop said they were fine. I can't find any corrosion on any grounds.

I had LED turn signals installed but have already returned to stock. However, this started shortly after I returned to stock. Could they be connected? Or is it coincidental?

I would double check that the correct lamps are installed and that they are seated correctly. Also disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and then let idle for 15 mins. Worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom