turboing my 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
a friend gave me his turbo from his new '87 pickup.

it's a CT20, and I was told I could put it onto my truck, with no issues.

i would be very excited to put a turbo onto my truck, but I'm not sure if i should. anyone?

Can you? Yes. Will it make more power? Yes, Will it be reliable worry free power? Ehhhhh probably not... If you want more power look into some other upgrades first, Camshaft, Header, Open up the intake etc. If you're not sure you want a Turbo..... You probably don't.

Prolly the worst turbo you'll ever see...but hey, it's free!

The manifolds are prone to cracking. The turbos are just old..

I don't know if the EFI system will limit it, b/c a guy that has sold turbo kits for Toyota's had one on his and he said it ran fine....IDK though.

If you have any worn rings or bearings, you'll find out real quick!

Also, in order to use it, you'll have to do some drilling and tapping of the block. You or someone else could prolly do it in-frame. But that stuff has to be precise. It's just not worth it for me to do some things in-frame. I take the motors out and work on them free of confinement.

ooops, forgot! You'll prolly need bigger injectors to...A V6 or turbo FP also.

And you'll have to run hightest in it.

Last edited:
You will spend a LOT of money getting all the parts and stuff necessary to get that turbo installed, for not much benefit. Lots of stuff has to be replaced, things like the radiator, all the injectors, the ECU, on and on.

Then it will blow the head gasket and you'll rip it all back out.

A stock radiator will work, but will need to a barb added for the turbo coolant.

There was a guy who turbo'd his stock 22RE and posted pics here. Might have been a year ago?

Obtaining the CT20 is, like, 1% of the total work involved. I agree with everyone else, it's not worth the hassle. I would rather swap-in a 1UZ then turbo a stock 22RE. :steer:

If you're going to put a turbo in, don't waste your time with the ct-20. However, if the turbo is good...it might be worth something to someone. Like <a href="http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=1.0">these guys</a>. When I bought the turbo truck that my motor came from, I was blessed enough to get a cracked ct20. Also, you ARE going to have to get the computer, you ARE going to have to get turbo or larger injectors, you ARE going to have to drop your compression ratio or run very little boost or you ARE going to blow a head gasket and you ARE going to burn through a lot of money. When it comes to turbo-ing it's worth the money to do it right the first time.

Newbie here, but a little experience in sort of the same thing you're thinking about. I turbo'd a car I used to have, that didn't come with a turbo. Putting a turbo on a non-turbo motor is a lot of work. Besides the turbo you have in your hand, you will need (off the top of my head):

1. Turbo exhaust manifold
2. Fuel Pressure Regulator
3. Piping
4. Oil feed line
5. Oil drain line
6. Oil drain fitting at the pan
7. Coolant line (if the turbo runs on coolant also)
6. Coolant drain line
8. Down pipe
9. Bypass valve

It's a lot of work for not that much in reliable horsepower gain. The higher the mileage on the motor, the more likely you'll start breaking stuff. Boost will likely be limited to about 5-6psi to remain reliable. That means you'll likely have to re-spring the wastegate for lower boost also. Most turbo motors will use about 8+ psi because they're built with lower compression and stronger parts for the higher boost pressures.

I'm new to the 4x4 stuff, but in the best case scenario, your 4Runner motor is a derivative of a motor that came with a turbo (22R series of motors had the 22RTE). If you can find and get all the hoses, fittings, etc., that would make the swap a lot easier, but at the end of the day, adding a turbo to a non-turbo motor just isn't all its cracked up to be. My experience comes from here:

Project X

I think ultimately, it's better to take the time and money you would spend on adding the turbo, and putting it into something else, like a motor swap of some sort if you're looking for more power, or other parts.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom