Turbo water line question flow syphoning? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As I said before and others mentioned shut down procedures are important but there are other benefits to coolant. This article explains thermal siphoning and is a good read. Note the source.

Nope.
Turbochargers in operation are oil cooled. All of them.
Water cooling is only for shut-down.

See diesel engines are unthrottled and at idle put through a whole heap of cool air. So cooling a turbocharger on a diesel is easy.
See petrol/gasoline engines are throttled so you try to idle them and the exhaust doesn't cool down as much. Hence the need for water cooling.

Throttle body...diesel engine. My 3b has a throttle body as well.
20230221_211658.jpg

As I said before and others mentioned shut down procedures are important but there are other benefits to coolant. This article explains thermal siphoning and is a good read. Note the source.

100% for gasoline engines. Thermal siphoning only happens after shut-down.

Quote from that page:
Garrett said:
Vehicles with extremely low exhaust gas temperatures and no water cooling system (low-output diesels or purpose-built methanol / alcohol fueled dragsters, for example) may not require a water-cooling system for the turbocharger.

Throttle body...diesel engine. My 3b has a throttle body as well.
View attachment 3408790

That throttle body is for soft shut-down and fast warm up (emissions). Your diesel engine does not run at stoich.

Tell
100% for gasoline engines. Thermal siphoning only happens after shut-down.

Quote from that page:

That throttle body is for soft shut-down and fast warm up (emissions). Your diesel engine does not run at stoich.
That throttle body is NOT for shut down on either of the engines I mentioned. Please tell me how the turbo differentiates whether it's on a gas vs. a diesel engine.

Think of it like this, the most extreme temperatures the turbo will see is under heavy loads, the components may see temperatures well in excess of 800 degrees, tell me how 200 degree coolant temperature flowing through the hottest part of the turbo doesn't cool it. This is physics.

Tell

That throttle body is NOT for shut down on either of the engines I mentioned. Please tell me how the turbo differentiates whether it's on a gas vs. a diesel engine.

Petrol/Gasoline engine turbochargers run a lot hotter because exhaust temps when on boost are much hotter.

Think of it like this, the most extreme temperatures the turbo will see is under heavy loads, the components may see temperatures well in excess of 800 degrees, tell me how 200 degree coolant temperature flowing through the hottest part of the turbo doesn't cool it. This is physics.

Turbos are cooled by oil when operating and diesels with a sane tune have turbine temperatures around 650C max. Petrol much higher. The water jacket is only to stop oil coking after a hot shut-down.

If you run your engines at full noise to shut-down you're going to boil coolant and crack cylinder heads.

Petrol/Gasoline engine turbochargers run a lot hotter because exhaust temps when on boost are much hotter.

Turbos are cooled by oil when operating and diesels with a sane tune have turbine temperatures around 650C max. Petrol much higher. The water jacket is only to stop oil coking after a hot shut-down.

If you run your engines at full noise to shut-down you're going to boil coolant and crack cylinder heads.
They do not run any hotter then diesels and have the same limitations. At 1400-1600 degrees things melt, it doesn't matter if it is a gas or diesel.

you can forge steel at that temp......

Yeah, the con rod side or end of a piston is at a far lower temp, plus every other stroke it’s sucking in cool air.
I’ve often wondered what the temp of a piston might actually be.
A good friend of mine raced a Sprite Bug Eye. He mounted an oversize oil cooler saying the oil did more cooling of internals than the water jacket system.
On the other hand, I connected the water lines to my GTurbo (but I removed my rear heater.)

I’ve often wondered what the temp of a piston might actually be.

If you search, there's studies done with a bunch of tiny sensors inserted into different parts of the piston crown to measure exactly this, and to measure the effect of different injection timing, spray pattern etc

I would have no issue running a DI diesel up to a peak of 850⁰c pre turbo EGT as I did with my 1hd-t

I would have no issue running a DI diesel up to a peak of 850⁰c pre turbo EGT as I did with my 1hd-t
I am glad to read this.
I get worried when the peak goes to 700C. 650 is the max I try to stay under.
In Colorado recently I hit 730C when I wasn't paying close attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom