Turbo 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kris

But my friends call me Kris
Threads
About two years ago i ran across an 86 turbo pickup that was trashed, but it had all of the running gear and for $300 you can't go wrong. The idea was to grab the drive train and craigslist/ditch the rest. I never got around to either. I finally got the idea that I should put the motor and tranny in my 87 4runner. After a lot of research, I decided that I was up to the challenge. So in february I pulled the motor and r151 (I considered cutting the whole front clip off). I sent the motor off to get rebuilt. I was going to rebuild the turbo myself, since it looked like it had seen better days. Under closer inspection I found that the casting was cracked which obviously threw a huge wrench in my plan. I told my machinist about it and a week later he said that would build me an adapter from toyota to a garrett turbo. We were back in business.

IMG_0150.jpg

After reading more about what Jeff Mosk and the guys on the 22rte forum did, (Welcome) and (22RTE-Trucks - Index) I decided to integrate and intercooler into my stock skid plate. I used an intercooler from a late 80's rx7.
IMG_0534.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Next I bought a gauge pillar from Jeff and gauges to put in it.
IMG_0385-1.jpg

IMG_0382-1.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg

Before I could pull the motor in the 4runner, I needed something else as a dd. I found this 88 for $500 and the 4runner for $300. I had to swap the 4runner motor in the 88. I cut all of the sheet metal off of the front so I didn't have to pull the tranny off. I thought I was going to swap the motors in one day. Yeah right. It took me 4 days to find the newer style injectors. [br][br]
IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Here are some shots of the turbo motor.
Turbo.jpg

Turbo2.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg
The bottom one replaces the top one.
IMG_0482.jpg

This is the background on my computer.

Looks good, but having the IC as the lowest point to the ground... guess you dont wheel much...

Sweet deals you have made! Ship me a runner or two...:cheers:

:crybaby: I had so many plans for mine....

Love the analog BTW

And, what do you think about extrude honing the stock exhaust manni? Think it'd be worth it?

sweet rides man

What's your MPG?

What c/r are you running?

Last edited:
Looks good, but having the IC as the lowest point to the ground... guess you dont wheel much...

Sweet deals you have made! Ship me a runner or two...:cheers:
The whole thing is still stock. So the way I figure it, if/when I SAS it, I'll have to make a new home for it anyway. I haven't taken this one out too much. It was surprisingly strait until some punk kicked both of my door panels. I used to wheel my 87 truck. The most i've done with this is a snow run which it did really well until I slid into a ditch and preceded to put a lot of wear on my clutch.

Right now i'm working on getting my intake hoses figured out. It has proven to be a worthy foe. Very worthy. I've had it in and out about 10 times. I put the r151 in yesterday and found that, to my dismay, had to cut my floor board a tad and now have to figure out how to make it look nice again.
IMG_0469.jpg

The steel water pipe was in the way of the turbo so i made it a new home.
IMG_0477.jpg

This is my $90 aluminum radiator.
IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Looks good so far!

I put the r151 in yesterday and found that, to my dismay, had to cut my floor board a tad and now have to figure out how to make it look nice again.

Let us know how you work this out. I'm gonna be doing the same thing on mine soon.

Looks good so far!

Let us know how you work this out. I'm gonna be doing the same thing on mine soon.

I *believe* that it was possible to get a Turbo truck with a center console. It was rare, but I think that's your best bet to making the interior look nice.

Another option would be to have the center console modified and covered with pleather to ensure it looks good. My 4runner is like this (stock console) and it looks very nice.

I didn't have to cut too much out of the floor. But just enough to make me cringe rethink the tranny swap. Than I decided it would be stupid not to.
IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

I had to put a plate over the new hole. I have no clue what i'm going to put in the gap between the console and the shifters. Maybe just an aluminum plate for switches. Something.
IMG_0533.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Last edited:
I hate waiting on parts.

I know for a fact that I have seen a plastic piece that fills that gap...

And I have no idea where. :)

Wow. I know what you are talking about. I might even have one in the shop. Sweet. I guess that pretty piece of aluminum will find another job.

Wow. I know what you are talking about. I might even have one in the shop. Sweet. I guess that pretty piece of aluminum will find another job.

I think it may have been on a 4-cyl automatic 4runner... Wish I could remember!!! :bang::bang:

Turns out I had to fab up a cover for my newly acquired hole. It took no time at all and I think it looks pretty good. Now I have more space to put misc switches etc.
IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

This is the background on my compy.
IMG_0540-1.jpg

Once the engine and tranny were in and most of the goodies were in place, I loaded up the mighty 4runner on a trip to a muffler shop for the intercooler piping. When I got there the guy said he didn't know how much or how long it was going to take so I said screw that and went back home (30 mile in a v-10=not cheap). Later I decided that I would have him mandrel bend me 4 90's and I could figure out how the pieces of the puzzle went together. Obviously I don't have the patients or the time for a puzzle of that nature. I ended up bypassing the intercooler for now (Upgrade for later so I don't get bored with it).
IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

The original design
IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

The upgraded version. When my coupler arrived I had to tweak it a smidge resulting in the need for a bend over the air box hose.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

Im ignorant in turbos, but wouldnt that pipe running off the exghaust over the front of te engine, by the radiator cause over heating problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom