Turbo 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thats where the stock pipe runs

I want it!!

Bring it to the Fall Gathering.

I finally got it running, thank God, and boy howdy she gets up and goes. Max boost of 15psi, WAY too much, I'm going to put a regulator on it to keep it near 10. Until than, i watch it pretty close (lots of human error when the turbo whines for more). The other day I went to pass someone doing 45 in a 55, on my way back from work, I down shifted and the next thing I knew I was doing dang near 80.
Last year I bought some decent sound stuff for it, and now i barely listen to it.

Already I'm scheming about running an AFM out of a cressida or supra.

And/or

Top-mount intercooler out of a subaru.

Also a Blow off valve could be beneficial.

I made a trip to northern Idaho to visit some friends (600 mile round trip) and it did awesome. If you've ever driven a pickup or 4runner with a stock 4banger down the interstate, it sucks. The turbo makes it so much more drivable. There is a pretty good hill on the way up there that, under normal circumstances, would be a third gear hill. I was easily able to climb in fourth doing 55-60 at about 5-7psi. Now it has almost 3000 miles on it (Holy Crap!).

nice ride just the using the ic as a slider is not a good idea lol
Thanks.
For the way I drive it right now, It would be fine. But I have a cool idea involving a subaru IC and a hood scoop. I just looking for another hood that I can mess around with. Or I could "follow the lemmings" and get rid of my AC (not going to happen) for a front mount set up.

What's your MPG?
I've averaged about 16.5 mpg. I've gotten as high as 18 ( I don't remember how) and as low as....well pretty bad. On my 600 mile trip i was getting 16 in rolling hills.

Hello Kris,

I use to have a '86 Turbo 4x4 truck. Yea, they are some sweet machines. I played with it and learned some easy ways to increase the hp if your interested...

The mpg you posted is just about what mine got.

Some of this you may have done already, some of it may seem like B.S. Each one thing does only add a little but the whole makes for a low impact on the pocket book and totals out to 20 - 30 + HP increase on a factory setup. ;)

2 1/2" Exhaust all the way back w/ low restriction muffler. (cat is included of course). = Faster flow. Sounds throaty also. :)

The one piece metal tube from the turbo to the throttle body...
Wrap it good with some of that foam insulation that has the foil covering. This helps keep the engine compartment heat from warming the intake air tube which can help cool the air coming from the turbo and make more boost. (Poor mans intercooler)

L.C. Engineering makes a cam for the turbo motor. It is sweet. It's range starts just before the turbo kicks in. :p
The harden head bolts are a good idea also, helps to prevent blowing out the head gasket. (Something I wish the person that had it before me would have known about).

Not much to it...
That's what I did to mine. At the time it all cost me about $500 bucks.

The factory computer will handle the higher output injectors L.C. Engineering makes also. That is suppose to bump it another 8 - 10. But kiss any chance of gas mileage bye.

Well my turbo crapped it bearings out about a year ago on my way back to Idaho from california. I don't think i let it idle long enough after driving it 14 hours straight. Any who I took it to a local turbo guy and he said that he would have to send it out to get the races machined larger he asked if I found the turbo o. Some car or one the ground I told it was probably because I drove it 400 miles with the seals blown out of it. He laughed and said it would run me somethig in the range of $600 bucks to get the machining done. I told him to hold off and I would look into getting a new one. I found a brand new Garrett with a waste gate for not too much more than that. I bought the new turbo with no remorse intrashubg the old one.

I have spent the last year getting the turbo in, oil lines run, Volvo intercooler installed, blow off valve plumbed in, and other shenanigans. I'll put some pics up later.

Wow can't believe almost a year has gone by. Well I've got her back up and running. The last turbo got replaced with a larger garrett. Added a large-ish Volvo intercooler from like a 740 i think? Temporarily have the A/C out. Running around 8-10 PSI. When the last turbo died I popped the head off to make sure everything looked hunky-dorey and put on some ARP studs while it was apart. As of now everything runs pretty awesome. Because of the intercooler, larger turbo, blow off valve, etc, etc, the computer can get confused relatively easily which is annoying but the only way around that is to go with Megasquirt. Some day i'll actually make the swap then who knows what will happen after that.

Here are some pics of my second build of intercooler/radiator and other transformations.

Z159.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

Two more of the pipe routing and the blow off valve

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

New Blood
IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

love these turbo trucks, I have a very beat one for a trail only rig.... The thing doesn't like to spool down low though

They are pretty sweet. Part of me wishes I had bought a turbo that spools a little lower than the one I have now...until i'm doing 85 down the interstate. lol

Maybe some day i'll twin turbo it. lol

They are pretty sweet. Part of me wishes I had bought a turbo that spools a little lower than the one I have now...until i'm doing 85 down the interstate. lol

Maybe some day i'll twin turbo it. lol

I don't think mine has seen over 25 since I bought it:grinpimp: Now it has seen 80 behind my tow rig. I've been trying to get the best answers on 22ret trucks on how to spool really low but no one really seems to crawl. maybe a 4.3 chevy eventually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom