Tundra Rock Warrior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to get back into something with a bed so I sold my 200 series and finally a white Tundra Rock Warrior came up for sale locally. Will be a slow build but I've already gathered up some parts.

Suspension
C59-578 - Dobinson 3" Front Comfort Ride springs, 460/460mm free height, 662LB rate
GS59-710 - Dobinson Front Twin Tube Nitrogas struts
GS59-711 - Dobinson Rear Twin Tube Nitrogas shocks
CMS861203 / CMS861202 - MEVOTECH UCA (These are SPC 25490 but sold by Rock Auto and are significantly less expensive and yes has the new style ball joint)

OME CS055R - Dakar Leaf Springs
Coachbuilder Rear Leaf Poly Bushing Kit
Tires
285/70/17 - Pathfinder All Terrain

Lighting
PIAA 30763 - Light Bar for Toyota Tundra
Aurora - 7" LED driving light

DT Moto - Updated 10'-13' style tail lights

Misc.
JI Loncky - Genuine Leather Auto Custom Steering Wheel Cover
84977-0C020 - Toyota Drive Monitor Switch
83800-0CM00 - Optitron Gauge Cluster
Gentex 453 - Gentex Mirror With Auto Dimming Homelink And Compass

Last edited:
A before picture a few weeks after picking it up. The goal with buying this and selling the 200 series was to have a truck bed again so I can get a truck camper in the future and to spend less than half of what I sold my 200 series for.

IMG_3456.jpg

The Rock Warrior package really is nothing more than some decals, a shift knob and the wheels. One thing its missing is the Drive Monitor without this all you get on the dash is the outside temperature. Its a simple plug and play install and then in addition to temperature you get distance to empty, current mpg and average mpg. I found a used one on eBay for about $50.

IMG_3622.jpg

Next was swapping out the basic rear view mirror. The auto-dimming / homelink / compass mirrors are not made by Toyota they are made by Gentex, best source for these is eBay. It was a bit of a challenge to find one with an orange compass display (most are green) but eventually found a Gentex 453 for about $45 on eBay.

IMG_3620.jpg

I don't really plan on adding a front bumper anytime soon but wanted to add some better lighting for night driving in the back country. I had a set of 7" Aurora combo beams on my 200 series and never had any issues. When I got them from China there was a minimum order so I've had a 2nd set sitting in the garage for a while. Only issue was finding a way to mount them, after some searching I found this PIAA 30763 - Light Bar on Amazon. Most the reviews said they had issues mounting it but for the price I figured what the hell and ordered one. The reviewers were right, it took some enlarging of the mounting holes and trimming of the brackets but I eventually got it mounted. I'm still waiting on some switches before I can get the lights installed.

IMG_3539.jpg

Last edited:
Next I started on the suspension. I've tried lots of different brands on past 4x4s including OME, Fox, King and Tough Dog. I had such a great experience with Tough Dog on my 200 and really wanted to try it out on the Tundra. I reached out to @TRAIL TAILOR and although there is a kit available it was going to be a very long time before one would be brought to the US. I started looking at other options and was seeing lots of great reviews for Dobinson so I contacted @crikeymike and ordered a kit. I settled on the 3" comfort springs up front because I don't have plans to add extra weight up front anytime soon.

I started with the rear because I thought it would be quick and easy. I was adding 1.5" shackles and the Dobinson shocks. It ended up being a real challenge because of rusty shackle bolts, in the end I had to cut them off and with part of the bolt seized in the bushing had to press out the bushings and look for replacement. I found this poly bushing kit from Coachbuilder that replaces the rear leaf bushing, they are local to me and I was able to pick up a set. I was also able to get a set of take off OEM shackles from a friend and used the hardware from those to complete the install. Ended up with exactly 1.5" of lift went from 24" center of hub to fender to 25.5".

IMG_3619.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

Last edited:
Next I moved onto the front but before I started used PB blaster on all the nuts and bolts and let it sit for a day. I've probably done more than a dozen Toyota coil over installs and do them all the same way. I jack up the truck and support with jack stands, remove wheel, disconnect sway bar, loosen the lower control arm mounts, remove the lower ball joint bolts, remove the lower shock mount, remove the upper shock mount nuts and then drop the lower control arm out the the way and remove the coil over.

To try and save a little money I ordered new KYB strut mounts and was going to assemble these myself with a rental spring compressor. I quickly realized that wasn't going to work, the Dobinson coils are long and wound tight there is not enough space between the coils to fit a cheap rental spring compressor. I called over to @cruiseroutfit and they got them assembled for me. From there the install was simple, just a reverse of what was outlined above. I got everything installed then dropped the truck on the ground, torqued to spec. and drove around the neighborhood hitting some bumps and dips to get things to settle.

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

When I stood back to admire my work I was a little surprised that the rear end of the truck was lower than the front, it should have been damn near close to level. It was a long day so didn't think to much about it. What I could see is that I was not going to get away with using my OEM UCA although there are plenty of guys with Tundras and 3" lift running OEM UCA without issues the distance from the inside of the UCA to the spring is maybe only 1-2mm, too close for my comfort. So I ordered some adjustable MEVOTECH arms from Rock Auto.

242C4D54-6FFD-42DD-BCBA-CBCAA36D5752.jpg

Some time went by and I was still questioning why was the rear so low, only thing I could figure was my leaf pack was toast. I called over to @cruiseroutfit and they had the Dakar Tundra pack in stock so I picked those up. Not sure why I didn't do this first but I got home and decided to do some measuring. I took my 6' level and found a flat spot to park and laid the level on top of the bed rail and found my rear was 1.5" low. I then measured the front and I had gone from 22'' center of hub to fender to 27.25", I gained 5.25" of lift in the front from my 3" springs no wonder the rear is so low and UCA angle is so steep.

Here is where I'm going to leave a lot of details out but calls have been made and I'm being advised to finish the install of my UCA get an alignment and drive around more and it will settle to 3".

Has anyone else out there seen 2.25" of settling? I'm concerned, if you look at my CV angles in the picture above is it a good idea to drive around like that? What will putting on the UCA solve, I have a ramped curb on my driveway and I can get front to flex upward a couple inches so its not binding on the UCA preventing up travel. I'm getting a lot of push back that everything will be fine, but I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
What is the Dakar Tundra kit you speak of?

I’m on Pro-Comp gear that is getting Icon coilovers FR & a set of billet UCA’s (prob some Total Chaos LCA build-up tabs too) - rear is getting the Icon shocks at a minimum, but my leaf springs are funky / truck sits tilted out back.

Mine’s a RW too. Or was.
I bought it w/ the 6” lift installed, and I’ve come to hate most of the ways Pro-Comp did it - BDS looks way more quality of parts if the ~4” range isn’t enough for most (I’d have been fine if it fit 35’s - IDK)

What is the Dakar Tundra kit you speak of?

You will really like the Icon suspension, I've never owned it but only heard great things. I'm not a fan of bracket lifts like the Pro-Comp, more for looks than function.

Regarding the OME Dakar rear leafs I had them on my last Tundra and they were great, especially with some weight in the back or when towing. Empty around town they are more firm than stock but its pretty hard to find a leaf pack that will ride like stock, lift the rear and handle weight. The Dakar leafs are also very reasonably priced and come with bushing preinstalled, so all you need is longer u-bolts and you are set.

@cruiseroutfit is the man if you decide to get them.

Still kind of kick myself for selling my old Tundra:

32915712904_672e88faf0_b.jpg

Those coils look super beefy. Your installed pics look the same as on their website, so its definitely a mystery as to why the front end gained so much lift. If you keep those springs you will need to do a diff drop. I don't think they will settle 2.25 inches. I installed some Dobinsons springs on the rear of a GX460 and they only settled 0.5 inch after a few weeks. We removed them and installed a different spring (it was taller than what the customer wanted).

Personally I'd pull those units and go with a Bilstein 6112 or 5100. I have been wanting to lift my 2012, I eventually will and plan to use 5100's.

Next I moved onto the front but before I started used PB blaster on all the nuts and bolts and let it sit for a day. I've probably done more than a dozen Toyota coil over installs and do them all the same way. I jack up the truck and support with jack stands, remove wheel, disconnect sway bar, loosen the lower control arm mounts, remove the lower ball joint bolts, remove the lower shock mount, remove the upper shock mount nuts and then drop the lower control arm out the the way and remove the coil over.

To try and save a little money I ordered new KYB strut mounts and was going to assemble these myself with a rental spring compressor. I quickly realized that wasn't going to work, the Dobinson coils are long and wound tight there is not enough space between the coils to fit a cheap rental spring compressor. I called over to @cruiseroutfit and they got them assembled for me. From there the install was simple, just a reverse of what was outlined above. I got everything installed then dropped the truck on the ground, torqued to spec. and drove around the neighborhood hitting some bumps and dips to get things to settle.

View attachment 2290808

View attachment 2290809

When I stood back to admire my work I was a little surprised that the rear end of the truck was lower than the front, it should have been damn near close to level. It was a long day so didn't think to much about it. What I could see is that I was not going to get away with using my OEM UCA although there are plenty of guys with Tundras and 3" lift running OEM UCA without issues the distance from the inside of the UCA to the spring is maybe only 1-2mm, too close for my comfort. So I ordered some adjustable MEVOTECH arms from Rock Auto.

View attachment 2290828

Some time went by and I was still questioning why was the rear so low, only thing I could figure was my leaf pack was toast. I called over to @cruiseroutfit and they had the Dakar Tundra pack in stock so I picked those up. Not sure why I didn't do this first but I got home and decided to do some measuring. I took my 6' level and found a flat spot to park and laid the level on top of the bed rail and found my rear was 1.5" low. I then measured the front and I had gone from 22'' center of hub to fender to 27.25", I gained 5.25" of lift in the front from my 3" springs no wonder the rear is so low and UCA angle is so steep.

Here is where I'm going to leave a lot of details out but calls have been made and I'm being advised to finish the install of my UCA get an alignment and drive around more and it will settle to 3".

Has anyone else out there seen 2.25" of settling? I'm concerned, if you look at my CV angles in the picture above is it a good idea to drive around like that? What will putting on the UCA solve, I have a ramped curb on my driveway and I can get front to flex upward a couple inches so its not binding on the UCA preventing up travel. I'm getting a lot of push back that everything will be fine, but I'm not so sure.
More than likely you're going to tear a cv boot.

IDK if you’re interested, but I am pretty convinced we have the sonar wire harness in the body, I’m chasing this myself.

I added a generic / used 4 -button switch where we had the blank, and I swore I was looking at sonar plugs when I did my bumper.

I’m thinking the sonar ECU, a pair of sonar sensors, and the 4-button blank **might** get the sonar working (that & power folding retro-kit for the tow mirrors would make Seattle metro driving a dream).

Almost as easy as the guys in Tacomas.

IDK if you’re interested, but I am pretty convinced we have the sonar wire harness in the body, I’m chasing this myself.

I added a generic / used 4 -button switch where we had the blank, and I swore I was looking at sonar plugs when I did my bumper.

I’m thinking the sonar ECU, a pair of sonar sensors, and the 4-button blank **might** get the sonar working (that & power folding retro-kit for the tow mirrors would make Seattle metro driving a dream).

Almost as easy as the guys in Tacomas.

I work downtown Salt Lake City and have to parallel park daily so that would be a huge help. My buddy has a 2011 Rock Warrior and his has sonar. Will have to take a closer look at his truck.

Personally I'd pull those units and go with a Bilstein 6112 or 5100. I have been wanting to lift my 2012, I eventually will and plan to use 5100's.

I worked it out with Dobinson and will be swapping out to their 2.25” coil when they are back in stock. I’ve read good things about the Bilsteins But my money is already spent so swapping the coils is most cost effective option. I have the 5100s in my wife’s GX470 and they are great.

So already a few changes to the rear setup. My combination of 1.5” rear shackles, OEM leafs, Dobinsons rear shocks and coachbuilder bushings rode awful. It was way too soft/mushy and I was getting too much bed bounce on our wonderful Utah concrete Interstates. Also I wasn’t entirely pleased with the 1.5” of lift, I thought it could use a little more.

I ditched the shackles and got some OME Dakar leafs from @cruiseroutfit and was able to use the Coachbuilder bushings in the OME leafs after pounding out the preinstalled ones with a socket and hammer.

The ride is so much better, nice and firm but not harsh at all. Still a little bed bounce but hoping that gets better with some weight in back and once I go from a 5” to 2.5” lift up front. Ended up getting just about 3” of lift from the Dakar leafs.

E55619C5-5B7D-40D8-88C3-B5B2AE8829E3.jpeg
AD97586F-2815-45E6-83FA-4A8607200225.jpeg

I work downtown Salt Lake City and have to parallel park daily so that would be a huge help. My buddy has a 2011 Rock Warrior and his has sonar. Will have to take a closer look at his truck.

When tou get a minute, look either in my albums or in my bumper install thread (Demello bumper - search term) - I swear 1 of my pics of the nose de-skinned I was looking at pigtails the sensors plug into.

If you trace his sensor back to just inside either headlight, IIRC that was the socket - I’ll hunt for the pic too, post it if it’s not already on Mud publicly.

So I think the body harness is there, I’ll post back.

Few updates:

Got the leather steering wheel cover installed, turned out better than expected!

Amazon product ASIN B06XBPQKFH
680FE8FB-997D-4141-870B-7F52C27FF7F3.jpg

Did some needed maintenance, water pump, belt, idler pulley, belt tensioner, thermostat, rear wheel bearings and rear brake pads.

8D16B5F5-DABC-4822-952F-7F930CAE2CE0.jpg

D39D32C9-67AC-4B82-BE03-B615B336188E.jpg

Had the 3" Dobinson springs swapped out the heavier 2.25" springs, hopefully will get them reinstalled on the truck later today.

087DD7A2-9D7D-4A22-BB6B-E40A3F9FCD60.jpg

7F512C94-8D00-4253-A9B6-6B5769EA214E.jpg

Well how does it look now?

It's great got 2.25" of lift in the front and about 3" in the rear, just a little bit of rake which is what I want. Ride is excellent, feels soft yet planted not harsh over bumps at all.

Some more updates.

Had quite the haul yesterday from my local classifieds. Found a Softopper (almost new w/ removable rear screen window), Decked drawers and latest model Pioneer DMH-W4600NEX with backup camera (already have a backup cam so this will go out front). Still want a mid-rise hard shell for the back but this will do for now till one comes up used in super white. Got a dash kit and speakers on order but looking forward to having wireless carplay again.

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3942.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

Man I'm loving this build! I have almost the same truck but in black and have been wanting a Softopper forever. Let me know if you sell yours (if you're willing to ship that is).

How bad was the water pump job? Mine is weeping and needs to be done soon.

Thanks!

Yeah shipping would be killer, just keep checking your local classifieds.

Water pump was a :banana::banana::banana: job, these videos were very helpful:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom