Tundra 10.5" Differential vs 9.5" w/ Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hey everyone, thought you might like to see how BIG the Tundra diff actually is, so I set one next to an FZJ80 locking 9.5" unit. Spline count for the Tundra is 35, I believe shaft dia. at the spline is 1.41. I have yet to take this one apart to inspect things like bearings. These diffs and the axle are made by the Hino plant in Memphis ,Tennessee. I'll post more info as I have time to get into it... if you have any questions or requests for pics, just ask.

tundradiff_001.jpg

tundra_002.jpg

tundradiff_003.jpg

What spline count is the pinion?? It looks the same as the 80 series unit.

Huge drive flange and the hole TLC 3rd member looks from a Suzuki compared to the Tundra ..

Intersting if you can take a comparision on the pinions.

I'm guessing it is probably larger with more splines despite the nut on the end being the same old size. I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Other tidbits.

Crush sleeve is no more, back to the spacer with shims.

Side bearing preload is adjusted with shims just like the 9.5 elocker

What a beauty, and the ring gear is thicker too, like a Ford 9 inch.

When will the first one of these get swapped into a Land Cruiser?

not worth a swap IMO because it is a semi float axle, and it appears there is a ratio available problem. If a 4.10 ration could be found it might be possible but why ?

Ratios available are 4.10 and 4.30. I'll speculate that possibly this rear end is shared with one of the small Hino box trucks... which could allow a very wide range of ratios, many of them go the 3.xx up into the 5.xx range

btw I was under the impression that all E lockers were 8" (ish) size..

btw I was under the impression that all E lockers were 8" (ish) size..

The 80 series rear is the same as the older Cruisers.

Ratios available are 4.10 and 4.30. I'll speculate that possibly this rear end is shared with one of the small Hino box trucks... which could allow a very wide range of ratios, many of them go the 3.xx up into the 5.xx range

Interesting info ..

The pinion have the same single bearing config . ?

Ummmmmm... just a little bigger. Pinion bearings are huge, as are the bolts. The side bearings are a smidge smaller than the ones on the 9.5" locker. A quick measurement gives a 1.37" OD splines, which I think number 35, but I did count quick. I'll measure the ring gear thickness next trip out to the barn.

tundravslcpinion.jpg

Woooohooo this pinion looks tough ! and this bearing it's huge !

How much time to see and LC - Tundra hybrid rear axle . ?

Haha! I purchased an 08 Tundra as I need a pickup truck again... 0% interest was the deal maker... I get to leave my money where it will make money. I was curious about the rear diff, and this one popped up on ebay for $130, it's a new take out that had a bent flange and was replaced. I'm trying to leave the Tundra alone as much as possible and finish up old stuff. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom