Tucson ROTM - March 17th/18th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry about the radio silence of late team, but the Tucson ROTM is still planned for the weekend of the 17th of March.

Here's what I'm thinking - a run down in to the Chiricahua's, probably more of a casual weekend tour than a hardcore 4WD adventure, but you never know - there are lots of forest roads to explore.

From Tucson we'd head to Portal, AZ, drive the Cave Creek Road (FR42), explore some forest trails and hopefully be able to make our way to the western side of the mountains & the West Turkey Creek campground (or anywhere else that takes our fancy). On Sunday it'd be back to Tucson via Cochise (short way) or Douglas/Bisbee/Sonoita depending on time constraints.

Expect to do a few miles on the asphalt, like I said this will probably be more of a touring trip, so it may not be suitable for the older vehicles (unless you like that sort of thing...). I've never been down this way so it's all new to me - we'll just see how we go.

Any interest?

Attendees:
1. D_Web
2. ollanik (maybe Sunday)
3. Cruddz
4. Saddletramp
5. Otter (maybe)
6. Garrissey (maybe)

FYI - @Wilma83, @ARJMN, @Chrismanjs, @cruzer971

Meet at the QuickTrip on Grant at 9am, we'll be monitoring the usual 146.460 Mhz and cell phones should work for much of the drive down to Portal.

Weather is looking OK with a potentially cool Saturday evening/Sunday morning. No pot luck planned but feel free to bring some snacks to share.

Last edited:
(Do this daily) If you pass through Wilcox (On the 10) about daybreak, look to the sky, thousands of Sandhill cranes make their morning flight from the Playa over the freeway. Impressive.
Love that acre of the world. Great idea.

Chiricahua National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

I'm considering this, I need to get an oil leak sorted by @murf first next week. Will see.

I'd like to go but may have already committed myself to something else that weekend...

Any idea of a ballpark seat time with this run? Sarah's got a conference, so I'm thinking about getting out of town with Graham.

Probably out. but I may surprise.

@D_Web do you have an idea of departure times? Camping Saturday night.

Any idea of a ballpark seat time with this run? Sarah's got a conference, so I'm thinking about getting out of town with Graham.

I'm flexible! Granted it's a couple of hours down here for you guys I wouldn't want to make it too early. If we head off from here around 9am we should be in Portal by lunch time. I'd think this would give us plenty of time to have a poke around and find somewhere to camp.

There's some sickness moving around the house. So count us as tentative. We'll just have to see how we're feeling come the end of the week.

I'm flexible! Granted it's a couple of hours down here for you guys I wouldn't want to make it too early. If we head off from here around 9am we should be in Portal by lunch time. I'd think this would give us plenty of time to have a poke around and find somewhere to camp.

I like the sound of that, will head down early in the am Saturday

I’m out for Saturday - may join up Sunday if exploring.
Didn’t realize we have tickets for show on Saturday night -

Sounds great but driving to Cali for the week.

I thought I could change out my track bar bushings before this weekend, but now I am stuck. Does anybody have a press or some neat trick to swapping track bar bushings on an 80?

Haven't ruled out attending yet. I'm working from home tomorrow and will get the truck packed up. If Graham is still feeling good, we'll head south early Saturday. Hopefully caravan with @Saddletramp

Sounds like a plan. @Otter, I will be at the meeting Friday night and ready to roll Saturday morning, departure needs to be 0700 to make 0900 in Tucson.

Traveling light, for me that is

I thought I could change out my track bar bushings before this weekend, but now I am stuck. Does anybody have a press or some neat trick to swapping track bar bushings on an 80?

You need access to a press, even if you torched out the old bushings you still need to pressing the new ones. Maybe a local shop will be of help

Sounds like a plan. @Otter, I will be at the meeting Friday night and ready to roll Saturday morning, departure needs to be 0700 to make 0900 in Tucson.

Traveling light, for me that is

I'll keep in touch with you. Let you know if anything changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom