Builds TTViper's Build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of owning 4Runners (a 97, 99, and 2005), I've made the plunge into the 100 Series community. This thread will progress as the mods do. The goal for this truck is to be the family adventure vehicle, camping mobile, and track day hotel (motorcycles). As well as maintain its status as the wife's daily.

As it sits now.
SCS F5 Wheels
BFG k02 285/75/16
OPOR Sliders

I found a 2006 LX470, single owner from Richmond, VA. Originally purchased from Lexus of Richmond and always serviced there. It had 93,000 miles and most important to me, rust free!

I still own this 99 4Runner Highlander, which I've absolutely loved. It's currently at 156,000 miles and running strong. It's my daily. I had a 97 before this one, it was rear ended and totaled a few years back.

I had a 2005 limited v8 for a while. It was the road trip and towing vehicle. I've since sold it to my brother.
The only picture I have of it right now, it was 100% stock.

My OPOR slider install guide can be found here ---> Metal Tech OPOR Slider installation

These are the Paint/prep materials I used.

3M Medium grit sanding block (I only needed one)
Acetone
Rustoleum Self Etching Primer (spray can) x2
Rustoleum Hammered finish gray spray paint x4
A lot of clean microfiber rags

I sanded thoroughly, the final product here is all about the prep. I could've sanded all day, but I didn't have the patience for that. Somewhere in the shipping process, my sliders got wet, so all the welds had some surface rust already forming. The sanding block took care of most of that. A small metal file got into the nooks to eliminate the rust as best as possible.

After sanding, I sprayed off the dust with my air compressor, and used the acetone and rags to get as much of the oil and debris off as possible. The rustoleum primer sprays on evenly and drys quickly. I did a few light coats while waiting 20 minutes between each coat.

The paint takes longer to dry. I lost track of how many coats I did, but it ended up being 3.5 cans. There are drying instructions on the can, I waited at least 30 minutes between coats, and then I installed them on the truck after sitting for 24 hours (the can says drying time takes 48, but mine turned out just fine at 24)

Welp you and I are about even right now. Your LX is a little newer but I've got F5s and Metal Tech 4x4 sliders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom