Ttora '06 Azrocks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK...I will stick with the CSC plan and let TTORA do their thing. Keven we can use all the wood we can get. I am trying to source a 50 gal metal barrel I can cut in half and use for cooking if it rains. Any ideas on where I can get one?

Good luck with Upper Ajax. I just ran that yesterday with another group, and it's nasty. A couple of us took some body damage (me included), and every truck was on the verge of rolling. We had to tie straps to the top of the trucks and have several guys pulling to keep the trucks from rolling sideways on one obstacle. That was my first time there, but some of the guys who had been there before said it's the worst they've seen it. Water running through the creek didn't help either.

-Spike

offroader5 said:
Here's one of the fun obstacles on UA...

There is a bypass to this though just to the left as your coming up to it.

Funny, if I'm seeing this right, this is one spot we took the 'bypass' on, and the bypass is what we almost flipped on. There's a pretty tight spot coming in to this, which is where I got my quarter panel punished.

-Spike

import silvia said:
So is anyone bringing family/dogs to this event? I'll have my 8y/o daughter and 1y/o old mutt as co-pilot and bombadier, just curious if they will have any peers out there.

you've trained them not to barf anymore? ;)

Upper Ajax when wet is a whole different trail than when dry. 50% of the body damage on my jeep was from that trail in the rain. It seemed like none of the "dry" lines worked, we were sliding all over the damn place.

Azz028-161045-
Northwest And North Central Pinal County-
Including Apache Junction...casa Grande...coolidge...and Florence
305 Pm Mst Wed Mar 15 2006

.tonight...clear. Lows 41 To 51. Light Wind.
.thursday...mostly Sunny In The Morning...becoming Partly Sunny.
Highs 75 To 80. East Wind 5 To 15 Mph In The Morning...becoming
Southwest 10 To 20 Mph In The Afternoon.
.thursday Night...partly Cloudy. Lows 44 To 54. West Wind 5 To 15
Mph In The Evening...becoming Light After Midnight.
.friday...partly Sunny. Highs 74 To 79. Light Wind In The Morning...
Becoming West 10 To 20 Mph In The Afternoon.
.friday Night...partly Cloudy. Lows 44 To 54. Southwest Wind 10 To 20
Mph.
.saturday...partly Sunny In The Morning...becoming Mostly Cloudy.
A 20 Percent Chance Of Showers. Breezy And Cooler. Highs 65 To 70.
.saturday Night And Sunday...mostly Cloudy With A 40 Percent
Chance Of Showers. Cooler. Lows In The Mid 30s To Mid 40s. Highs
In The Upper 50s To Lower 60s.
.sunday Night...partly Cloudy With A 10 Percent Chance Of Showers.
Lows In The Lower 30s To Lower 40s.

-Spike- said:
Good luck with Upper Ajax. I just ran that yesterday with another group, and it's nasty. A couple of us took some body damage (me included), and every truck was on the verge of rolling. We had to tie straps to the top of the trucks and have several guys pulling to keep the trucks from rolling sideways on one obstacle. That was my first time there, but some of the guys who had been there before said it's the worst they've seen it. Water running through the creek didn't help either.

-Spike

So glad you posted Spike. I've been riding the fence on running trails with the Lexus like UA and LA and those Woodpeckers. I think I might stick to a Martinez Loop difficulty, though I do plan to give the Woodpeckers a look because I can take bypasses. I've eyeballed UA MANY times and never thought a big rig like an 80 could do it without mangling the body.

I'll be running Hackberry/Powerline with Scott Brady on Saturday. The LX front axle should be done late today or early tomorrow. Anybody going on this run?

brittan said:
OK...I will stick with the CSC plan and let TTORA do their thing. Keven we can use all the wood we can get. I am trying to source a 50 gal metal barrel I can cut in half and use for cooking if it rains. Any ideas on where I can get one?
Howdy! I have several 55 gal drums at work that are available. The bad news is that they have been full of a mild petrolium solvent that is technically "flammable", but it will not hold a flame if you try to light the solvent on fire. The good news is the barrels are in excellent shape. I'm not sure of the best way to make them safe to cut/grind/weld on. I also have some plastic drums that were used to carry non-flammable cleaning fluid, if anyone has a use for them. John

ShottsUZJ100 said:
I'll be running Hackberry/Powerline with Scott Brady on Saturday. The LX front axle should be done late today or early tomorrow. Anybody going on this run?

Got a link?

-Spike

Hey Shotts, I ran lower AJ then took a trail up to woodpecker mine then back by way of the "woodpecker loop" wash. My 2.5" lift and 33" tires on the '97 made it fine, other than one bypass around "the fire hole" and I don't have sliders or a front or rear HD bumper. You'll be missing out on alot of fun if you don't atleast make those two runs.

Oh and for more fun you guys should run them in the dark like we did. JK :p

Both lower Ajax and upper Woodpecker are fine, no risk of body damage on either with reasonable care. The road crosses the trail regularly, so there's ample opportunity to bail if you get uncomfortable.

-Spike

We didn't stop for pictures on AJ since we didn't get slowed down and it was getting late in the day. These pictures are on Woodpecker, since the drop had us out building it up with some rocks.

We didn't have time to run Box Canyon and some others I wanted to because we kept taking side trails. Alot of those trails took us straight up the hill sides with some very steep climbs, lost of fun but usally we had to turn around and they didn't go anywhere. We did end up on a medium level trail that took us from the end of AJ and ended up in the town of Superior.

I wish I spent all my time here in that area, you guys are going to have a blast!

Last edited:
-Spike- said:
Got a link?

-Spike

Nope. I'm trying to confirm a Superior meeting time. I believe it's 8:30 though I'm not sure. If I don't hear back from Scott I'll wait at the Circle K and watch for Taco's. This is a great run and I'm up for it again before they close the area to the mine.

I will take the extreme hill and canyon options. WOO HOO! Come on out Spike! We'll tower over them...until a SAS Taco shows up! :D

I just found out this is my wife's Saturday to work. No outings for me. :frown:

-Spike

John, Scott is already there...or should be by now. I'm heading out as soon as I get my crap in the jeep. Only get to play tomorrow though.......

My wife also works (graveyard shift) we too will not beable to make it.

I'll be leaving for there shortly, just need to finish one or two load of laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom