Builds Truckasaurus - linuxgod's Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fridge platform, cage, fridge, and battery went in this weekend. Battery is a Bluetti power station I picked up for $300 off eBay “refurbished”. No complaints except I didn’t realize this model doesn’t work with their Bluetooth app.

I’m not real happy with the molle panels I bought from Grey Man Tactical… they’re nice and would be fine hanging in a wall, but I didn’t realize they weren’t metal when I purchased and they flex more than I want (and rattle a bit over washboard city potholed streets). I will likely custom order some steel powder coated panels at some point but since I have <4 weeks until cruise Moab these will have to do.

IMG_4600.jpeg

Fridge platform, cage, fridge, and battery went in this weekend. Battery is a Bluetti power station I picked up for $300 off eBay “refurbished”. No complaints except I didn’t realize this model doesn’t work with their Bluetooth app.

I’m not real happy with the molle panels I bought from Grey Man Tactical… they’re nice and would be fine hanging in a wall, but I didn’t realize they weren’t metal when I purchased and they flex more than I want (and rattle a bit over washboard city potholed streets). I will likely custom order some steel powder coated panels at some point but since I have <4 weeks until cruise Moab these will have to do.

View attachment 3584976
Love the idea of hard mounting the panels vertically and horizontally to make a box. Way better idea than the stand alone cube I'd did in my first fridge cage adventure.

For cheap metal Molle stuff consider something like this

You're gonna love not needing ice.

Love the idea of hard mounting the panels vertically and horizontally to make a box. Way better idea than the stand alone cube I'd did in my first fridge cage adventure.

For cheap metal Molle stuff consider something like this
That’s an interesting idea and might work. I don’t need molle panels per se, just something reasonably rigid. Mounting them together might be the only challenge

You're gonna love not needing ice.
Yeah. So far the only thing I really don’t love was the effort to mount everything in the truck. I’ll probably run like this for the summer and pull it out in the fall once camping season is over. When it was just the cargo dividers I could remove or install in about 5 min, but the fridge platform is 20+ min of effort to install or remove.

View attachment 3584976
Love this setup! Very practical.

Yeah. So far the only thing I really don’t love was the effort to mount everything in the truck. I’ll probably run like this for the summer and pull it out in the fall once camping season is over. When it was just the cargo dividers I could remove or install in about 5 min, but the fridge platform is 20+ min of effort to install or remove.
Looks great.

In the meantime, can you install some aluminum angle or square tubing to act as supports / stiffeners for the panels? You could drill and bolt the panels to the angle in several locations to minimize the flex and noise.

In the meantime, can you install some aluminum angle or square tubing to act as supports / stiffeners for the panels? You could drill and bolt the panels to the angle in several locations to minimize the flex and noise.
Possibly. It really needs a C-channel frame, but yeah I thought a bit about that. Probably need to put some padding between the metal and panels though. Right now I have the connecting points attached with L-angle aluminum and the panels are bolted to that, but even a little vibration in that seems to make noise, I think. It's hard to tell precisely where since all of it has a bit of flex and it takes a level of vibration I can't create when parked to really get annoying.

Today’s projects:

- Trail Tailor RLCA skids installed
- Bud Built rear shock guards installed
- BP51 rear rock guards removed, as one has lost the plastic retaining clips and was just flopping around.
- Dr KDSS panhard rod/track bar relo bracket installed
- Asfir transfer case skid smashed with a BFH a few times to straighten it
- Installed two self tapping bolts for my sliders as apparently I’d taken one bolt off each side
- Leveled my radar sensor, pointing it slightly downward. I had a radar sensor failure last summer that kept appearing when I was towing through Canada, and I think it was because the sensor was pointing a bit too high.
- Ran a new ham antenna wire. I need to take a drive and see if APRS is working now but the weather broadcast from the Sears tower 13 miles away went from struggling to pick up to a solid signal even at full squelch so I think it’ll likely work now
- Noticed the locker wiring grommet might be seeping. Didn’t get a chance yet but I intend to hit it with degreaser and see what reappears.

Impressions after installing panhard rod/track bar relo bracket?

Impressions after installing panhard rod/track bar relo bracket?
I posted in the DR KDSS thread but it made a noticeable difference. My rear end wobble wasn't terrible previously but it was definitely there. It's 98% gone. That's testing over those gradual speed bumps that are designed to hit at ~20mph where I used to feel the wiggle. So that's nice. Whether it has any actual bearing on performance otherwise I can't say, but I do appreciate less sway in that case (since there are dozens of speed bumps around me) and I assume if it's helping there it probably helps in other ways too.

FWIW my alley is full of potholes and I feel like there's less rocking of the truck as I bounce around through them. That might be the case, or I might just be imaging it, as the truck is still 7000# of mass with a single wheel dropping into them. It's not like the ride is smooth as butter over the mess which is a Chicago-area street so it's not going to turn an OME Nitro lifted truck into a 3-stage King racing suspension setup, but it won't hurt either.

I posted in the DR KDSS thread but it made a noticeable difference. My rear end wobble wasn't terrible previously but it was definitely there. It's 98% gone.
Sry I should have checked there first. I'm glad to hear it made a difference. Appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom