Troubleshooting slcfj62 headlight harness upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kia

Threads
I have a 1990 FJ62 with the headlight harness upgrade made by slcfj62 and the outer hi/low beams stopped working. Using the diagram (Headlight wire harness FJ60 and FJ62 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/headlight-wire-harness-fj60-and-fj62.354712/post-5197952), I was able to make some sense of the setup and think I might be having a grounding issue. So far I've tested all fuses/relays and confirmed I have 12v at the headlights. I believe the factory grounding point is at pillar A (driver side), which looks fine to me.

I bypassed "relay 1" and relay 2" then connected pin 30 and 87a on "relay 3" and the low beams didn't work so I think my issue is somewhere between pin 30 on "Relay 3" and the ground point, which I think is just a wire from the bussmann box to the battery that seems fine.

I'm basically out of ideas and have looked through some of the other troubleshooting posts:

1658007054844.png

Some other observations: the outer low beams work when plugged into the factory harness.

take a jumper wire and go from terminal 30 on relay #3 and go to a good ground and see what happens
the inner high beams show a separate ground that is not the same as the outer lights

Reactions: Kia
Check the connectors at all ends as well; I ended up sending mine back to slcfj62 back when he was building the harnesses, and he found lots of corrosion in the connections at the headlight end. We were confused as to how, since I don't live in a humid/rainy area and it shouldn't have been a problem, but it was. He ended up splicing in new connections specifically for the sealed beams instead of the little converter pieces and that solved the problem for a little bit. Must have come back at some point, because the lights stopped working again a couple years back. I've since disconnected the whole harness and went back to stock wiring which sucks.

Regardless of who built a harness one of the biggest killers of connectors especially at the bulbs themselves is corrosion. Corrosion increases the resistance which increases the voltage drops and spikes the heat generated....this is what causes those bulb connectors to embrittle or melt.....contrary to the popular belief that the bulb heat itself is the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom