Trouble in paradise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It concerns me that they weren't proactively transparent in sharing the damage. That combined with their pushy sales tactics make me wonder if there's other stuff they're not being transparent about.

Don't know who you're talking to, but I'd politely ask to chat with the Sales Manager. If he/she doesn't welcome an independent inspection then that'd be a red flag.... at least for me. I bought a used BMW from a BMW dealer years ago, and they were more than happy to have someone inspect it - even put it up on a lift so the guy could check out the undercarriage. It costs them literally nothing to support you in this manner. And, if they have 10 other buyers lined up (which is of course BS - the LC is an acquired taste), then if it fails your inspection they have 10 other buyers to sell to.

It would suck to have to walk away from an otherwise perfect vehicle, but I suspect you wouldn't regret it in the end, if push comes to shove. Will take you just a couple of weeks - worst case months - to find the perfect next best alternative.

PS. I tend to buy new cars, as I've had mixed luck with used. Bought a used BMW which was independently inspected - and genuinely good. Bought a used Mini which was independently inspected and apparently in immaculate "like new" condition. It did look good, though it had some minor mechanical issues. Years later I took it to Carmax to sell who informed that every body panel except 1 had been repainted. Wtf?! So I decided to preferably buy new or do more research on inspectors. A Toyota body shop would be a good place to go because they WANT to find issues (to fix, at your expense).

Good luck!
i once got a outright sale estimate from Carmax on my Lexus Sc430. I had owned that car for 18 years since new. The car was mechanically perfect and original. Carmax told me the car had been wrecked and repainted and was impacting my offer. Other than one small door ding that had been touched up by me with a paint stick, that car was as it had left the factory. So you can’t always believe them.

i once got a outright sale estimate from Carmax on my Lexus Sc430. I had owned that car for 18 years since new. The car was mechanically perfect and original. Carmax told me the car had been wrecked and repainted and was impacting my offer. Other than one small door ding that had been touched up by me with a paint stick, that car was as it had left the factory. So you can’t always believe them.
I hear you. In my particular case I'd sold 3 or 4 vehicles previously to this location with no issues. Moreover, the took me to their shop and showed me paint that hadn't dried properly from the respray - they were right. The inspector should have caught it. They didn't bring a paint gun and just did a quick visual inspection it would seem. The guy that inspected my BMW brought a paint gun. He noted that the paint on the front left fender was marginally thinner than the rest of the paint, but also assured me this was a factory issue as there's no way that a paint shop could apply paint that thinly and evenly. Paint gun FTW!

Well guys there’s a HE Cruiser available at Mercedes Benz of Grapevine if any of you are interested.
I'm wondering how they'd react to a dozen or so people expressing interest, but then asking specific questions about the condition of the lower front bumper pax side?

I'm wondering how they'd react to a dozen or so people expressing interest, but then asking specific questions about the condition of the lower front bumper pax side?
Who knows? I wouldn’t be surprised if it sold over the weekend. Someone will take a chance on it. For me it’s strictly a matter of principal and perceived value. I also don’t like knowing that I’m being bent over and taking one in the shorts.

We all work hard for our money I presume. Personally I want my dollars to go towards something I can have peace of mind about and just because I can afford something doesn’t mean I’m going to hand over the money for it.

I’m in sales myself and I take pride in being honest and transparent with my customers. Setting a fair price for goods and services and recognizing sometimes I have to make a little less or nothing at all when issues arise or something goes sideways.

Lol! Same here. But if you get a killer deal, just replace the fender. Pretty cheap if the price is right . :cool:
And the holes in the A-pillar?

What is the price and miles. And anyone that has dealt with paint and body knows it’s a 5-7,000 fix. If they discounted it that much, then it makes sense. If not, walk away, another will absolutely pop up

Plastic bumpers/replacement aren’t cheap…but neither are tgey $5-7k…unless you’ve been taken advantage of in a massive way.

$7k gets you into a killer Slee bumper including a very labor-intensive installation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

PS. ot suggesting you get these bumpers. Posting just for perspective when assessing reasonable costs associated with plastic bumper replacement.
48258BB9-C3F1-4EFF-B1D2-22E833ADA0A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Unless I were doing serious offroading on the regular, I would stay away from metal front bumpers. The mileage penalty is just too high.

Unless I were doing serious offroading on the regular, I would stay away from metal front bumpers. The mileage penalty is just too high.

And even if you do offroad…fairly vigorously …good chance you don’t “need” steel bumpers.

Another one for comparison, not an HE though. Miles are kinda high.

And even if you do offroad…fairly vigorously …good chance you don’t “need” steel bumpers.
Personally I’m not a fan of the majority of steel bumpers out there. Many of them are too big and gaudy for my taste.

Another one for comparison, not an HE though. Miles are kinda high.

Ya, I’m pretty fixed on HE 2 Row. Which drastically narrows my options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom