Trouble in paradise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I “bought” myself a 200 HE yesterday that appeared to be super clean. (1 owner, locally purchased/traded and clean carfax)

It was late in the day so I signed as much paperwork as I could but did not take the truck home since my bank could not get a cashiers check ready in time (dealer would not accept drafting)

While locking up for the night my cousin who is a salesman at the dealer sends me this pic asking if I had noticed. I told him of course not otherwise I would have spoke up before putting the deal together. Obviously this falls back on me for not being thorough enough on my inspection of the vehicle and also making some assumptions based on the carfax and overall appearance of the vehicle.

At the moment I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer on their solution. On one hand I want it fixed but I want it fixed right and with OEM parts. (It’s at a Mercedes dealership) On the other hand I’m spooked wondering what could have caused this and if I should be concerned about anything else before I move forward on handing them a check.

C19B0CD6-F5B3-43AA-8A9A-E022401B47FC.jpeg

What is the price and miles. And anyone that has dealt with paint and body knows it’s a 5-7,000 fix. If they discounted it that much, then it makes sense. If not, walk away, another will absolutely pop up

What is the price and miles. And anyone that has dealt with paint and body knows it’s a 5-7,000 fix. If they discounted it that much, then it makes sense. If not, walk away, another will absolutely pop up
$86k with 21k miles. I’ve had my fair share of cars in the shop for body work growing up and your estimate is about what I figured.

**To add context I don’t believe it was priced in line with the damage. The dealer took in on a trade the day before yesterday and they had not even done their “prep” on getting ready for sale by the time I inquired about it.

$86k with 21k miles. I’ve had my fair share of cars in the shop for body work growing up and your estimate is about what I figured.
Make them throw in an ARB or Dissent front bumper instead of doing the paint, etc. Looks like the front bumper fascia?

Probably just backed into a concrete barrier or something along those lines. Not many shops would be able to repair that so likely a replacement would be in order.

A $500 bumper skin and paint will not be $5-6K and if it is then you’re getting bent.

Looks like a bumper replacement. If the part is available already painted (it should for that year, search online) then it is a one-hour labor plus parts. If part need painting is a lot more but not 5k.

If you like the price and they get you a new bumper I see no reason to walk away from the deal.

I think that's not a bad deal, we were looking for quite a while (Wa) and found a '21 HE in August with 455 miles listed at 115 and got it for 104. Couldn't find anything comparable pricewise or low in a HE.

Looks like a bumper replacement. If the part is available already painted (it should for that year, search online) then it is a one-hour labor plus parts. If part need painting is a lot more but not 5k.
I've never seen a part from Toyota come pre-painted. The dealership likely has ties to a body shop that does work for them and their cost on this shouldn't be more than $2k.

Probably just backed into a concrete barrier or something along those lines. Not many shops would be able to repair that so likely a replacement would be in order.
It's on the right front. Thinking they ran over something.
A $500 bumper skin and paint will not be $5-6K and if it is then you’re getting bent.
I agree but body work can be pretty expensive. Thankfully I haven't needed any done for a few years but figured with inflation and what not. If they want me to come out of pocket on it and not discount accordingly I'll just walk

Best I’ve seen for an HE was low $90’s and that was with a lot more miles. Let them replace the bumper skin without putting it on the carfax and move on.

It's left front

I agree but body work can be pretty expensive. Thankfully I haven't needed any done for a few years but figured with inflation and what not. If they want me to come out of pocket on it and not discount accordingly I'll just walk

The OEM part can be had from a dealer for $300. Two hours in labor, one to pull the old one off, one to put it back on and then paint. I’d be blown away if it were beyond $2K and that’s talking top dollar.

Looks like the PN for the bumper is 52119-6b950 with an MSRP of around $300. Another $400 or so for paint, another $300-400 for labor depending on local labor rate. That's all retail pricing, dealer should be able to get this done around $1k

That is the cheapest I've seen an HE with decent miles and I would agree that a front bumper skin should be much less than $5K. I would see if they'd knock a little more off the price for not disclosing the damage themselves. It's on the underside of the front bumper so not extremely visible; if you have plans to replace the front anyway a slight discount on purchase price sweetens what is already a pretty good deal. It's not enough I'd want it hitting the vehicle report as it looks purely cosmetic, but it should be easy to crawl under there and make sure nothing else is damaged. Even with the damage I think $86K is a pretty solid number--there was one at Lexus of Plano a couple months ago with around 20K miles that was listed at $101K and sold within a week.

That is the cheapest I've seen an HE with decent miles and I would agree that a front bumper skin should be much less than $5K. I would see if they'd knock a little more off the price for not disclosing the damage themselves. It's on the underside of the front bumper so not extremely visible; if you have plans to replace the front anyway a slight discount on purchase price sweetens what is already a pretty good deal. It's not enough I'd want it hitting the vehicle report as it looks purely cosmetic, but it should be easy to crawl under there and make sure nothing else is damaged. Even with the damage I think $86K is a pretty solid number--there was one at Lexus of Plano a couple months ago with around 20K miles that was listed at $101K and sold within a week.
I agree, finding one under MSRP even with the mileage seems to be a good deal these days

If your heart is set on this truck, see if they will AT LEAST meet you halfway on the repair cost or cost of whatever bumper you want. Black is the perfect color for aftermarket bumpers as every manufacturer seemingly powder coats black. This is my opinion FWIW.

I've never seen a part from Toyota come pre-painted. The dealership likely has ties to a body shop that does work for them and their cost on this shouldn't be more than $2k.
Mercedes shop just called, said they would do it in house for around $2200. Trying to find out if that is with an OEM bumper cover or not. Also of course waiting to hear back on whether they are going to cover repairs or not. If they discount the price or bump my trade up accordingly I think buy it. I really want it but want it to be as close to perfect as can be, I was pretty bummed to find this out at the 11th hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom