Trollhole Carb + Desmog Overhaul. Hose replacement questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"won't turn over" = engine won't crank = dead battery or bad electrical connection at battery terminals. Even if the Engine fuse was blown, the starter should turn over the engine. If you don't even hear the starter click when turning the key to Start, I'd check the cables at the battery and whack the starter with something to maybe wake it up.
Does the horn work? Dome light?
@OSS @ff347
Hey guys, thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly. My explanations weren’t very good.

I really was out in the middle of the boonies, super hot. Over 90 degrees at about 5500 elevation. The the fan actually was running, just didn’t check when I arrived to my destination. It was turning over but not starting.

I was able to get a text into Marshall and he said check the sight glass for fuel level.
It was super low. If I shook the rig back and forth I could see a little fuel in there, but it was really low. He then said to pull the gas cap and check for vacuum or pressure…
Sure enough I took the cap off and it was hissing and almost whistling so much pressure was built up. Let it sit another hour and turned the key and it fired right up.

Just got home. Check the sight glass and thr fuel level is still pretty low.

What can I do about that pressure build up?
Thanks again, glad I had cell service!
Photo attached is the sight glass just now when I got home.

568CA15C-4D90-4787-895D-61D92DB8426B.jpeg

The fuel level in the sight glass should be visible when the engine is idling, not when it's off. In my experience it's always below the low marker after engine shut down.

For now, swap the two small hoses on the charcoal canister. Its internal check valve is stuck, preventing it from breathing properly - which over pressurizes the gas tank.

The fuel level in the sight glass should be visible when the engine is idling, not when it's off. In my experience it's always below the low marker after engine shut down.

For now, swap the two small hoses on the charcoal canister. Its internal check valve is stuck, preventing it from breathing properly - which over pressurizes the gas tank.
Thanks so much. I seriously though I was in deep trouble out there. Haha.
The sight glass level looks low like the photo ether running or turned off…

Thanks for the heads up with the hoses. So in the photo attached swap these two?

EDA01130-3ACA-4FDA-973F-884A110B2CBA.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep. Switch those. You can try blowing it out with very low air pressure.

@Todd Moen
Been locking and I cant find it in the manual, it's in there somewhere with directions.

Might be in a thread too.

OSS for the win!

Word to the wise, do it to the side s*** will blow out of the one connection that is open.

OSS for the win!

Word to the wise, do it to the side s*** will blow out of the one connection that is open.
@OSS @ff347
You guys rock. Thanks so much for the info and heads up.

OSS for the win!

I’ve just dove into this… have something interesting with the way I desmogged a few things. Photo 1 shows the middle hose of the canister that runs up and against the firewall and then back around underneath the master cylinder… shown in photo 2.
I have this capped off for some reason? So I have one of those lines capped and the right line off the canister connects to a lower metal pipe on the firewall that heads straight down to the hose that maybe runs to thr tank?

Anyway, should that middle hose of the canister be capped? If so great, I’ll go ahead and just swap them. If not, where should that line go that I have capped if it’s incorrect?
Thanks!

298F6226-9C4C-4634-9C53-13C6C449B363.jpeg

BC33F984-F70C-4392-B887-0216180AC5A4.jpeg

Do you need more pictures?

If you need to PM me, we can facetime some of this.

Do you need more pictures?

If you need to PM me, we can facetime some of this.
Thanks @ff347 , Don't think so...
Just need to make sure while flip flopping the canister hoses the correct ones are capped or not capped.
The middle hose now is capped. So if I move it to the right port of the canister that means the right port with be capped.
The original right port hose now would be moved to the middle purge port and is coming from down underneath the firewall which I think is coming from the tank.
If this is correct, then perfect! If not, I'd love to know how yours is set up.

Last edited:
The pipe on the charcoal canister that says "Tank" has a check valve in it that is malfunctioning and sticking shut. They all do it after 20 years. That's the cause of the gas tank getting overpressurized.

The middle pipe on the canister that says "Purge" doesn't have a check valve and flows freely.
Since you're desmogged, the hose that normally connected to the middle Purge pipe isn't used any more. If you swap the two small hoses (Tank and Purge) the tank will then be able to breathe freely without a check valve and the other hose will continue doing nothing just like before.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom