Engine overhaul or upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an FJ62 88, 200k miles, body in great shape, but recent rebuild didn’t go well. I want to overhaul to make is a daily driver with highway speed, something to last for the next 20+ years. The Mosley high power rebuild seems ideal, but they are booked up:

Any recommendations for a similar shop who does this kind of thing? I’m in Texas, but will to take it anywhere…looking for an upgrade that will last a lifetime. She’s a keeper!

Last edited:
Any machine shop can rebuild a 2F, you don't need Mosley to do it...they've just found a niche in the market. Look around locally, Texas has a lot of machine shops. You can open the valves up with sbc valves, port match, valve grinds, yadda yadda.

These engines are very rudimentary, based on the Chevy/GM of the 30s/40s. Find someone that has been in the business for a while that is comfortable with inline sixes and you'll be good to go.

Just stick with as much OEM Toyota and set it up according to the FSM and you'll be just fine.

I'm thinking more diagnostic work is needed before making any large decisions

We need more data.

A 3FE is arguably the best running stock OHV Toyota 6 cylinder. A little bit of work and it can be really good.

Take pics and let’s figure out a plan.

I too am confused about a 2F in a FJ62, but I've seen stranger things. The neglected heap o' rust and never ending problems that is my FJ62 will run 75 down the highway. It isn't modern vehicle fast in getting to 75, but it doesn't feel like I'm riding a 50cc Vespa into gail force winds either. Should add that it's all stock with 30x9.5R15 tires (speedo reads accurate to GPS). So if you've got a bunch of extra weight and/or tall tires YMMV (figuratively and literally).

As others have said we need more deets about the truck in question and what issues you're seeing/why you think it needs a rebuild other than "slow".

I too am confused about a 2F in a FJ62, but I've seen stranger things. The neglected heap o' rust and never ending problems that is my FJ62 will run 75 down the highway. It isn't modern vehicle fast in getting to 75, but it doesn't feel like I'm riding a 50cc Vespa into gail force winds either. Should add that it's all stock with 30x9.5R15 tires (speedo reads accurate to GPS). So if you've got a bunch of extra weight and/or tall tires YMMV (figuratively and literally).

As others have said we need more deets about the truck in question and what issues you're seeing/why you think it needs a rebuild other than "slow".

It wouldn't be a 2F, it would be a 3F, the carbed version of the 3FE and an import.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom