Trip Meter HAAALLLP! Toyota Cross Compatibility questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ‘94 FZJ80’s trip meter has finally bit the dust. And bit the dust as in the bracket that holds said trip meter in place has physically broken resulting in everything but the .10 miles not rotating.

Upon perusing I think a trip meter from a T100 or same year 4Runner may fix but I was hoping any of the wizards on the forum may have personal experience.

and before we go down the...”have you super glued it, are you sure it’s actually broken and not stuck route”...the answers are Yes and Yes.

I’ve taken apart the instrument cluster and verified both. Just trying to avoid shedding another $200 on a part I may be able to pull at the local pick n pull for $40.

I have had good luck finding cross compatible parts with eBay. If you can find the OEM parts for the 80 series new or used on eBay, a lot of times there will be a list of all vehicles the part fits. This is how I discovered that a couple of the sensors in the thermostat housing for a 3fe also were used in the 22r motors.

Goodluck

Mine broke a while ago and I dug into repairing it. I was hoping that the broken part was simple and could be replaced with either a metal or printed plastic replica. Unfortunately its a rather complicated part with a lot of tight tolerances. What I ended up doing was gluing the cracked piece back together but also added a small aluminum bracket that limits the amount that the reset button can be pushed. It'll still reset to zero but keeps the operator from pushing too hard on the part that cracks.

I looked for other odometers as a possible replacement but didn't find anything. Using the location of the reset button to the digits, I was able to eliminate lots of other Toyota clusters on Ebay.

My trip meter and odometer have pooped the bed. I need to find a replacement. Was hoping this would lead me to a cheap alternative. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom