This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone!
Can someone of you help me please :)
Currently i am in a situation my front differential started howling / TLC 80 /and a new crown and pinion gears are needed. The question is are those gears interchangeable between a diff with or without locker.
OEM gears for diff with locker are discontinued so i cannot order, but i can order crown and pinion gears for diff without locker... Part numbers are different but many claim that the part is exactly the same and will fit on my diff with locker... Any ideas will be appreciated... Those parts are costly, so i want to avoid ordering in mistake.
Thank you

Shortly - can i take pinion and crown from diff without locker and install them on a diff with locker?

The gearset is the same in both differential configurations.

With open differential (not locked):
1700087646209.png

With locked differential:
1700087685900.png

Malleus, thank you for the fast reply hopefully you confirm.. I still cannot understand why is such a hassle ordering those parts. I am located in eastern Europe and the part guys i am using claim that part numbers are different and are unshure in ordering... Also my rig is with 41 teeth on crown 11 on pinion /3.7 gear ratio / and it seems it is the hardest to find as many people like to regear manuals to 3.7 to achieve greater highway speeds.
Are there any aftermarket options? Nitrogear are not producing 3.7 gear ratio

Are you looking for front or rear diff c&p?
Yukon has the rear c&p here:
They do not appear to have a front, 8" reverse 3.70.

Are you looking for front or rear diff c&p?
Yukon has the rear c&p here:
They do not appear to have a front, 8" reverse 3.70.
Unfortunately is the front.. This is the contact pattern of mine, and I get noise at high speed when i get off the gas and the speed of the wheels match engine speed. Mechanic claims it is not dangerous and it wont break but i am a different story.. Just can't stand when something is not working correctly

IMG-b18ee60afe5eca131ed101a0b23c31d2-V.jpg

IMG-208d0e43c314c168ed374f9d9a6cb226-V.jpg

That pattern sucks. He's wrong and you're correct. That is an explosion waiting to happen.

You can reset the gear pattern by moving the pinion, but the ring gear is pretty much gone. Even if you get a good pattern, that gearset is going to whine until it fails.

Unfortunately is the front.. This is the contact pattern of mine, and I get noise at high speed when i get off the gas and the speed of the wheels match engine speed. Mechanic claims it is not dangerous and it wont break but i am a different story.. Just can't stand when something is not working correctly

View attachment 3482893

View attachment 3482898
If I couldn't find a new gearset, I would at least properly set up and shim the pinion to get a good pattern on those teeth to at least prevent overloading the teeth. It may whine, but not "explode".

I recall a thread on here from about 8 years ago, someone looking for gears in your ratio and having a very hard time finding them.. I think they had to go to Australian companies to find that ratio, as they are primarily for the manual transmissions and diesels.

The USA has the 1FZ and 4.11:1 gear ratios on everything, so not much market otherwise except for those that want to go rock crawling, which is the opposite of what you want.

View attachment 3482893

View attachment 3482898
Uhhh no

If I couldn't find a new gearset, I would at least properly set up and shim the pinion to get a good pattern on those teeth to at least prevent overloading the teeth. It may whine, but not "explode".

I recall a thread on here from about 8 years ago, someone looking for gears in your ratio and having a very hard time finding them.. I think they had to go to Australian companies to find that ratio, as they are primarily for the manual transmissions and diesels.

The USA has the 1FZ and 4.11:1 gear ratios on everything, so not much market otherwise except for those that want to go rock crawling, which is the opposite of what you want.
Yes, we have already tried sorting out the contact pattern, now is more in the middle-ish position but gears are still whining... so in my opinion it was pointless. My rig is 4.2 turbo diesel, manual transmition triple locked.. It seems i am lucky with those gears.. The hardest to find..

IMG_20230330_085330~2.jpg

My understanding is the only difference is the install kit.
Ring & pinyon are the same.
Just order the correct install kit 😉

Yes, we have already tried sorting out the contact pattern, now is more in the middle-ish position but gears are still whining... so in my opinion it was pointless. My rig is 4.2 turbo diesel, manual transmition triple locked.. It seems i am lucky with those gears.. The hardest to find..

View attachment 3483301
I found the thread I was thinking of and it's dated 2015:

Ok, sooo ... Terrain tamer has these listed on their site.
3.70 in 37/10 and 3.72 in 41/11. The 3.72 are stated as:
LandcruiserFJ801/1990-3F Petrol41201-69157TTFront3.70:1
LandcruiserFJ801/1990-3F Petrol41201-69226TTFront3.72:1
That is exactly what i need 41/11 obly problem is that im located in eastern europe.. I'll do a research on importing fees. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom