Undercarriage Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasLandCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
pin.it
I found myself sitting in the living room in silence at a crossroads. Doing a rolling resto and first order was pulling oil soaked undercoat neglected by previous owner. 80% of the restored undercoat held well but near transmission, pinion seal and motor the coat let go. If that wasn’t bad enough when TLC restored it they matched the coat with body, previous owner tried to hide all the stains and soaked oil spots with cheap black rubber, but only in areas that were bad. Can’t do this so it was to get all the petro soaked out of what’s there and go back with something like Raptor Bedliner and just move on. Or....blast it so spent a week gathering supplies and the moment I started flowing Black Beauty at 25cfm it just bounced off the coating, energy absorbed. Grown men don’t cry right, so strip it, massive mess not having a lift, $200 angle grinder ate thru knotted head wheels like crazy and all of it is a mess. Last thing I did was degrease test area numerous times then used Rustoleum Pro Liner, looked ok but then the soaked areas continue to bleed out of original tan undercoat and Rustoleum Pro never cured and now I’m stumped what to do. Do I abandon and take to local shop and pull body and start over or somebody have an idea how to strip this stuff clean. Up note areas I was able to clean to body they applied epoxy seal to entire body and zero rust. Sorry but had to talk it out. 5k psi boiled water pressure wash at 2”, take it to shop, aircraft stripper or what.

if you have something constructive please share. I could use some direction. If you troll with negative comments with no solution I’ll call your mom

Pics, I want to see how bad this mess is.

no can’t say I have any great ideas, I just want to see the train wreck

CFA40EA5-4EB6-470F-AAF7-008144E446C5.jpeg

Fuel smells gone after attaching the drain line, plugging the firewall 2” hole, and new seal for fuel neck. Birfields, pinion, transmission, oil pan all serious leaks and fixed. With years of neglect the belly was fossilized and took chisel to knock the crap off, strip everything and start over. AND I flew in after a rave review on the pre-purchase I paid for.

57E4A22E-47C2-4380-8D12-6922443A4488.jpeg

88B00679-6DE7-47B9-9557-F4FAAAF14991.jpeg

8146B72F-8747-4ECF-A88E-3D1E42BF74B9.jpeg

435BFAA8-3FA3-426F-904F-55A80F069ECA.jpeg

00E64CCA-5955-4C7E-8DA8-230F4D8790B9.jpeg

Nice work!

785B25D6-2A36-496A-AB96-23DC4E12D1C1.jpeg

Had this hitch cover made up from a bloke online for $20. Looks cool and keeps all the dirt etc out when I don’t need the tow ball.

this looks great! perhaps I missed it, but how did you get the nuts, bolts, body mounts, headlight shroud casing, and everything so clean? Do you have a quick run down of how you did all this? I just bought a 60 I want to restore and there is a lot of surface rust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom