TRD supercharger question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

inkpot

SILVER Star
Threads
When I rebuilt my Kazuma last year I noticed that it looked like the rotors were coated with a smooth gray coating that looked like epoxy. I am working on another one now that appears to be a different generation. It does not say Kazuma on the air horn and the front of the pump is shaped differently. The rotors on this one are coated in a very rough black texture that looks very different from mine. Just curious why/what is the difrence? Has anyone else noticed this?

I believe some are coated with epoxy, and others a ceramic coating. The TVS R1900 in my XKR has the black coating, as does an M112 I have sitting around that's from an '03 Jaguar XJR and I want to say it's a ceramic coating. The TRD M62 blower a friend has in his 4Runner has the grey stuff on it, so I think the epoxy is from older generations, or coatings done by rebuild shops.

From what I've been told, the epoxy isn't as durable as the ceramic coating.

Sure its not powder coated vs ceramic coated? I've never seen a textured ceramic coat. Doesn't mean its not done, just that I haven't seen it.

Since the gap between the rotors is critical, it seems off that a textured coating would be used.

The textured coating allows the rotors to grab more air and force it into the engine thus providing more boost. It also provides more surface area for rotor cooling.

No? I thought it sounded good! :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

The textured coating allows the rotors to grab more air and force it into the engine thus providing more boost. It also provides more surface area for rotor cooling.

I was kinda thinkin THAT, but I can’t verify, because only one of these rigs has a boost gauge.

If that were the case then rebuilders wouldn’t need the feeler gauges to check for gap any longer :flipoff2:

If that were the case then rebuilders wouldn’t need the feeler gauges to check for gap any longer :flipoff2:

Put a thick enuff coating on them and they would be self clearancing, no?? :worms:

Sure its not powder coated vs ceramic coated? I've never seen a textured ceramic coat. Doesn't mean its not done, just that I haven't seen it.

Since the gap between the rotors is critical, it seems off that a textured coating would be used.

Sonovabitch... I was lied to by the dealer. Yeah, they said ceramic and pointed me to Jon Bond to show that they do ceramic as well. You got me thinking and it says they started using an abradable powder coating to improve volumetric efficiency in '01 right on the Eaton site. Search Results - Eaton Corporation

Man... rough week with the misinformation... :confused:

Sonovabitch... I was lied to by the dealer. Yeah, they said ceramic and pointed me to Jon Bond to show that they do ceramic as well. You got me thinking and it says they started using an abradable powder coating to improve volumetric efficiency in '01 right on the Eaton site. Search Results - Eaton Corporation

Man... rough week with the misinformation... :confused:

And vindication to those who make up s*** on the fly :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom