TRD LC/LX supercharger boost pressure ??s

Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Hey gang,

Just a couple of boost control questions.

1. What is the proper boost pressure limit? I have seen 5psi and 7-8 mentioned. Does anyone know for sure? My setup pretty much hits .5 bar or 7-8psi under spirited driving conditions. But, hit the throttle wot and it goes alittle bit higher. :eek:

2. I have tapped the boost port from the boost line that goes to the EBC valve.

Does anyone have any pics of a installed unit? I have run scan tool checks to be sure timing and fuel are inline. And yes, they both are. I will also be installing a O2 bung to make some wide band LM1 a/f datalogs just to be double sure.

Cheers,

Dave
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
Dave, if you are leaking boost on the EBC line then boost pressure will increase. Check all lines and use tie wraps on all “vacuum lines”. As you probably know, it not just vacuum on the lines anymore.
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
DMX84 said:
Dave, if you are leaking boost on the EBC line then boost pressure will increase. Check all lines and use tie wraps on all “vacuum lines”. As you probably know, it not just vacuum on the lines anymore.
Dean,

Yep, got it. I think this spike might occur because I have my HKS boost gauge tee into the line before it goes over to the TRD EBC. It should not make too much difference because the pressure/volume should quickly fill both lines.

The lines are all tight. I was just needing some feedback on another owner with the TRD kit to be sure the boost is acting as designed.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
636
 
 
 
Dave,

Can you post a photo of where you installed the T for the boost gauge? I am curious how you did this and where you did it. Thanks!

How about a photo of your setup too. Oh yeah the STi as well hehehe.

Amando
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
i4c4lo said:
Dave,

Can you post a photo of where you installed the T for the boost gauge? I am curious how you did this and where you did it. Thanks!

How about a photo of your setup too. Oh yeah the STi as well hehehe.

Amando
Amando,

Sure, I will post some pics. Are you familiar with Cobb or Perrin products? I tune these platforms with parts and engine management from these two companies. Oh, yeah.....and love to take my STI out on the road course. :doh:
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
i4c4lo said:
"wacha talkin about Willis"

Amando
Haha,

You were talking about a picture of my Subaru STI. Cobb and Perrin are aftermarket companies with specialty products for the STI to upgrade the car. I tune the STI with the Cobb software/firmware program that give me access to the ECU to rewrite all the maps. :cool:
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
636
 
 
 
Actually I was hoping you post a photo of where you put the boost "t - line" for your gauge. I have a boost gauge (in the box) but I don't have it installed and I also have a EGT that is not installed, I don't care that much about the boost gauge but it would be cool to have. I will install the EGT one of these days.

All your cars have some form of forced induction and that is KEWL! and you are a basHtard! hehehe

Amando
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
i4c4lo said:
Actually I was hoping you post a photo of where you put the boost "t - line" for your gauge. I have a boost gauge (in the box) but I don't have it installed and I also have a EGT that is not installed, I don't care that much about the boost gauge but it would be cool to have. I will install the EGT one of these days.

All your cars have some form of forced induction and that is KEWL! and you are a basHtard! hehehe

Amando

Lets see if this works....LX, STI on the back roads and lapping the folks at PIR.
stipir.jpg
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
i4c4lo said:
Actually I was hoping you post a photo of where you put the boost "t - line" for your gauge. I have a boost gauge (in the box) but I don't have it installed and I also have a EGT that is not installed, I don't care that much about the boost gauge but it would be cool to have. I will install the EGT one of these days.

All your cars have some form of forced induction and that is KEWL! and you are a basHtard! hehehe

Amando

Arrrrgh, files too big....I will resize and post the other pics. For now, enjoy the STI rompin on the field.
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Toylexmods said:
Dean,

Yep, got it. I think this spike might occur because I have my HKS boost gauge tee into the line before it goes over to the TRD EBC. It should not make too much difference because the pressure/volume should quickly fill both lines.

The lines are all tight. I was just needing some feedback on another owner with the TRD kit to be sure the boost is acting as designed.

Ok, I have some final news on this topic. Indeed the LX was overboosting and spiking up to 12-14psi boost. :eek:

Actually, this is most likely the "real" reason why TRD/Toyota pulled the V8 supercharger in the first place. Toyota is not completely stupid....replace a few 15,000 dollar engines and start to point a finger at the TRD supercharger. Then roast some poor VPs *** over at TRD for putting together a faulty kit. Put 2 and 2 together and TRD pulls the V8 supercharger from the market. Ding, ding....hello, do you think any master tech with a blown up Tundra would actually diagnose the reason the rods are out the pan?? Nope, that is not what they get paid to do. Slap a new engine in there and submit the bill to Toyota.


I have confirmed and notified Magnuson about my boost issues and the poor design of the EBC resulting in overboost and asked if this could be a potential reason why some of the Tundra engines blew up. The answer? Yes, the Toyota account manager at Magnuson agreed with me and went straight out into the shop to talk to the engineers. Guess what Magnuson has in the shop right now?? 06 Tundra test fitting a Supercharger. Doh! It seems Magnuson was left holding the bag full of V8 Toyota superchargers and associated parts when Toyota pulled the plug.

So, there it is gang. Hope this helps

The TRD boost solenoid was the fault. Not mapped properly or just plain not working. I would say not mapped properly because under most driving conditions the LX would manage boost to 7-8psi. But, I dont build or tune a car for "most" driving conditions. :doh:

In the end, I used the tried and proven "ball and spring" device. Dawes device to set and control 7-8psi. All conditions, wot, downshift to wot, wot from standing start and high rpm wot. Boost 7-8 all the time and every time.

If you have a TRD V8 kit and dont have a boost gauge. Beware.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
hoser said:
Cool. Could've been an expensive repair. How's the mileage with the SC now?
Sure, it could have sent the rods and pistons out the block like some of the Tundras that raised the red flag in the first place. 13psi on this platform and drive it like you stole it would = rods on the street. :doh:

Tune your cars and take ownership. :)

Mileage?? I dont know. I have never checked gas mileage on any of my vehicles. I will check it now that things are tuned.
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
636
 
 
 
What other tuning did you do to the truck? I know that you know that I know that we know - you can't leave it alone hehehe.

But seriously though, how do I not over boost my s/c? Is there another product that I can install? I still would like to see a photo of where you connect the boost gauge (in the engine side) you can email it to me directly if its too big to post here.

I have a friend that is recommending a UniChip for my truck and have it tuned, would that help? You are the force induction guy - please advise :) thanks!

Thanks for all this info by the way.

Amando
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
i4c4lo said:
What other tuning did you do to the truck? I know that you know that I know that we know - you can't leave it alone hehehe.

But seriously though, how do I not over boost my s/c? Is there another product that I can install? I still would like to see a photo of where you connect the boost gauge (in the engine side) you can email it to me directly if its too big to post here.

I have a friend that is recommending a UniChip for my truck and have it tuned, would that help? You are the force induction guy - please advise :) thanks!

Thanks for all this info by the way.

Amando
Amando,

No problem and glad I can help in putting some info out here. As for tuning....nothing extra for my LX but the basics and making sure a platform is stable for spirited driving. Any tuning book for forced induction will send you down the path to set in order....1. Boost 2. Ignition 3. Fuel or Boost Fuel then Ignition.

Follow the rules and you will have a happy engine. No matter what the application. 500 hp Supra, 400 hp STI, 350 hp LX. :cheers:

As for your situation. You must install a boost gauge first. Install the T into the boost signal line running from the intake manifold over to the rear port of the boost control solenoid. If your boost is in check....you can run some wideband 02 tests and get the A/F ratios. The timing is fixed by the piggyback ecu and yes, its safe and pulls lots of timing under boost.

If your boost is steady under wot and your A/F ratios under boost are ~12:1....the Unichip $$$ will not gain much. Save your $$

However, if your boost is not steady...fix it. Ditto for the A/F...if your running 10:1 or richer....get it remapped leaner for more power and better gas mileage.

Does this help? I have no plans to make our LX a hotrod but instead....it will pull the trailer easier and add just some fun to daily driving. When I need real hp...its sitting in the garage.
 
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
1,046
Location
Sandia Park, New Mexico
 
 
 
Toylexmods said:
Ok, I have some final news on this topic. Indeed the LX was overboosting and spiking up to 12-14psi boost. :eek:

Actually, this is most likely the "real" reason why TRD/Toyota pulled the V8 supercharger in the first place. Toyota is not completely stupid....replace a few 15,000 dollar engines and start to point a finger at the TRD supercharger. Then roast some poor VPs *** over at TRD for putting together a faulty kit. Put 2 and 2 together and TRD pulls the V8 supercharger from the market. Ding, ding....hello, do you think any master tech with a blown up Tundra would actually diagnose the reason the rods are out the pan?? Nope, that is not what they get paid to do. Slap a new engine in there and submit the bill to Toyota.


I have confirmed and notified Magnuson about my boost issues and the poor design of the EBC resulting in overboost and asked if this could be a potential reason why some of the Tundra engines blew up. The answer? Yes, the Toyota account manager at Magnuson agreed with me and went straight out into the shop to talk to the engineers. Guess what Magnuson has in the shop right now?? 06 Tundra test fitting a Supercharger. Doh! It seems Magnuson was left holding the bag full of V8 Toyota superchargers and associated parts when Toyota pulled the plug.

So, there it is gang. Hope this helps

The TRD boost solenoid was the fault. Not mapped properly or just plain not working. I would say not mapped properly because under most driving conditions the LX would manage boost to 7-8psi. But, I dont build or tune a car for "most" driving conditions. :doh:

In the end, I used the tried and proven "ball and spring" device. Dawes device to set and control 7-8psi. All conditions, wot, downshift to wot, wot from standing start and high rpm wot. Boost 7-8 all the time and every time.

If you have a TRD V8 kit and dont have a boost gauge. Beware.


I’m glad you found the problem. Now just add the HKS scramble boost controller! lol
Are you using any data-logging software?
I agree with you comment on the uni-chip. Basically if it working then don’t fix it! But if here are future mods or more boost, then the uni-chip can probably be of use. It will require some time on an AWD dyno to have a custom chip made for the specific application.
Do you know of any S/C for sale? I’ve seen one on eBay w/out the ECU, but this is no good right? Unless I do the custom chip, but then again, there are no AWD dyno’s in NM!
Later,
DMX
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
DMX84 said:
I’m glad you found the problem. Now just add the HKS scramble boost controller! lol
Are you using any data-logging software?
I agree with you comment on the uni-chip. Basically if it working then don’t fix it! But if here are future mods or more boost, then the uni-chip can probably be of use. It will require some time on an AWD dyno to have a custom chip made for the specific application.
Do you know of any S/C for sale? I’ve seen one on eBay w/out the ECU, but this is no good right? Unless I do the custom chip, but then again, there are no AWD dyno’s in NM!
Later,
DMX
Dean,

The only datalogging I can do with this is the LM1 wideband. The Toyota scan tool gives live time readout of the timing and 02 sensors but no datalogs.

I have a source for brand new TRD superchargers complete with ecu. Give me a ping off list or PM. Actually, the account manager at Magnuson might even sell me new kits because he was quite impressed by my troubleshooting/tuning. :doh:

I think you need to put one of these on your LC.
 
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
54
Location
ATL/SAV/AVL
 
Yes,
Basicly what he is doing is making sure the engine is healthy and is getting enough spark and fuel to the cylandars. If there isn't enough fuel or spark thats when things go kablooy! This is standard issue on any engine you add FI (forced induction ie extra air) to. Usually it is done with months of testing in various conditions to make sure the engine is never put over its limits, and thats why there should be an ecu upgrade with every kit. To be on the safe side you could always add a bigger fuel pump.

But now that I re-read your post...
If you are asking if the same problems happen on the I-6 then the answer would be to ask someone with one. Each engine is different and has different abilites out of the box. The 3.4L V6 has weak injectors so when you add the S/C it leans it WAY out at higher altitudes. I go to school at sea level and never had a problem. Right when I headed up the mtn to asheville I would get horrible valve slap ie knocking and would have to keep it out of boost. Thats why the URD kit does so well. If you ask me, I would do it right out of the box and not even bother with just the S/C. It will run better, get more power and be a lot further from the point of blowing your motor. I have not found enough info on how the 4.7L handles boost so I will just have to let them chime in.

Mods,
Do you have any videos or anything of your rig? I also would like to know how it affects milage. With the threat of gas prices going up again I'm going to have to wait and see how that goes, but if that proves to be a myth then I think that might be one of the first major mods I do the rig when I find the right one. :D

Thanks!
 
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
68
Location
Eugene, Oregon
turboale said:
Yes,
Basicly what he is doing is making sure the engine is healthy and is getting enough spark and fuel to the cylandars. If there isn't enough fuel or spark thats when things go kablooy! This is standard issue on any engine you add FI (forced induction ie extra air) to. Usually it is done with months of testing in various conditions to make sure the engine is never put over its limits, and thats why there should be an ecu upgrade with every kit. To be on the safe side you could always add a bigger fuel pump.

But now that I re-read your post...
If you are asking if the same problems happen on the I-6 then the answer would be to ask someone with one. Each engine is different and has different abilites out of the box. The 3.4L V6 has weak injectors so when you add the S/C it leans it WAY out at higher altitudes. I go to school at sea level and never had a problem. Right when I headed up the mtn to asheville I would get horrible valve slap ie knocking and would have to keep it out of boost. Thats why the URD kit does so well. If you ask me, I would do it right out of the box and not even bother with just the S/C. It will run better, get more power and be a lot further from the point of blowing your motor. I have not found enough info on how the 4.7L handles boost so I will just have to let them chime in.

Mods,
Do you have any videos or anything of your rig? I also would like to know how it affects milage. With the threat of gas prices going up again I'm going to have to wait and see how that goes, but if that proves to be a myth then I think that might be one of the first major mods I do the rig when I find the right one. :D

Thanks!
Austin,

Yes, yes and no. The 4.7 TRD is all together another beast as for boost control and that is the problem and potentially why some engines went boom. There is huge potential for overboost in the design of the 4.7 system. There is not that same potential in the 3.4. Make sense?

Too much boost+high compression+not enough fuel=BOOM! :eek:

That said, the V8 TRD supercharger is a work of art and by far the best bang for the buck if tuned properly and boost levels are 7-8 as designed.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom