Transplanting a 2F (FJ60) into a 79 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

79 40, that’s a late girl,

do u have a true transmission mount and cross member With a split Tcase?

ru planning on just swapping the motor? or the motor, bell housing , trans and Tcase?

Front mounts will line up

rears will be determined by what ur 40 has ,

I believe 60’s crossmembers come in two flavors early, was small similar to the 40 series, and later had a larger span and different rubber mount,

what year of 60 series are u looking at?

I have the complete the complete 2F, 4 speed tranny and Split Case out of an 86 FJ60. I do also have an earlier 40 bellhousing with ears for rear motor mounts.

I thought about swapping bellhousing and/or building new Transmission crossmember.

Thank you for confirming the front Motor Mounts are the same 👍🏻

I'm also will be doing the same thing (83' 2F four speed and split case from a FJ60 into a 69' FJ40) and will be using the early 2F bell housing with ears as well as fabricating mounts to attach the transmission cross member to. Having both allows removing either the motor or tranny and leaving the other installed.......also that big heavy tranny and case hanging way out without additional support seemed sketchy to me

Here's a couple pictures of it mocked up.

IMG_20200405_174738615.jpg

IMG_20200406_114635221.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also will be doing the same thing (83' 2F four speed and split case from a FJ60 into a 69' FJ40) and will be using the early 2F bell housing with ears as well as fabricating mounts to attach the transmission cross member to. Having both allows removing either the motor or tranny and leaving the other installed.......also that big heavy tranny and case hanging way out without additional support seemed sketchy to me

Here's a couple pictures of it mocked up.

View attachment 2347190

View attachment 2347195

My only concern is having both a transmission crossmember and bellhousing motor mounts will put more stress on rubber in motor mounts when the frame flexes.

I’ve read that FJ60 frame is wider.

yes the 60 frame is wider, but the mounts stick out further from the frame than they do on a 40 frame. front engine mounts will work on either frame other than the mounts and isolator mis match, you'll see some of the mounts have a cutout and others are smooth

My only concern is having both a transmission crossmember and bellhousing motor mounts will put more stress on rubber in motor mounts when the frame flexes.

This may be a legitimate concerned, sounds like I could leave out the transmission support. Anyone else done this with both the rear motor mounts and transmission support and if so any issue?

I see no reason to use the transmission/transfer mount. Toyota built land cruisers for years with the rear motor mounts on the side of the bellhousing and the transmission/transfer case assemble hanging out the back of the bell.

I wanted to eliminate the bell housing mounts on my '79 FJ40 that has the H55 tranny. Picked up an FJ60 cross-member and made some V-cuts in it and welded the cuts to match the angle of the tranny and split case. Works great. With all the weight hanging off the rear bell housing mounts, I would bet the cross-member support would outlast it in severe conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom