transmisson, help!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well i was out on a dirt road yesterday, when my transmission was starting to act a little funny. I started getting hard to move side to side in N. Going from 3rd grear to 2nd was espesially hard sometimes. A few minutes later, i put it in R and now i can't get it out of there. I can move it from reverse to N.....up and down.....but i can't get it over to get into 1st or 2nd gear no matter how hard i try, or what i do. What is the problem? Thanks

Are you sure it has oil in it? Although side to side in neutral really isn't moving anything in the tranny. There is a plastic spherical seat under the ball on the shift rod. If your lucky it might just be that the plastic seat is worn out and making the lever bind up. Remove the shift lever boots and then pull the shift lever out. The retaining cap unhooks similar to a bayonet style light bulb socket. You can then pull the shift lever right out - it might be a good idea to get it into neutral before pulling the lever out. Try pulling up on the lever and trying to shift gears before taking it apart. The plastic seat is something like 10$ from Spector. You might also try a finger full of grease on the old to determine if that really is the problem.

Definitely sounds like the plastic seat under the shifter. It's a cheap fix and if it doesn't solve the problem (it probably will) it doesn't hurt to do it. It's available from the local dealers as well.

Try pulling up hard on the shifter while shifting and see if that works. The seat basically keeps the shifter slightly further out of the tranny.

I had the same problem only mine was stuck between 3rd and 4th from Mazatlan, Mexico to Vancouver, B.C., Canada! I'm glad it wasn't reverse!!

You guys are awesome, i just went out to look at it again, and found that if i pull up hard on the shifter it will go in just like you said, so i will get that plastic deal and be back in bussiness. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom