Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I got in my 1992 cruiser tonight to go to a basketball game and started her up and she wouldnt't go into gear and made a nasty grinding noise when put back into park. I thought maybe low ATF fluid, or cracked U-joint, and checked both and they were fine. Anybody have any problems like this? I know its kind of a vague description, but any and all help is needed.

did you try to shift the transfercase high to low? or lock your center diff? if the grinding stops with the diff lock on it could be front drive flanges, spiders. how many miles on this cruiser?

Lag is on to it.

It sounds as though the transfer is "in between" gears.

Hi Guys it's Rodney here from Wholesale Automatic Transmissions in Australia. I agree with lagwagon the transmission is working fine but it's likely to be the transfercase has been knocked into neutral. The noise is the park mechanism trying to engage onto the already spinning output shaft of the transmission. If this doesn't work then pull the hand brake on with someone in the car with there foot on the brake and put the transmission in drive and see if one of the drive shafts are spinning if so then the problem is in the diff that the spinning drive shaft is connected to, if not then it's in the transfercase but I can't help but think the transfer is simply in neutral. By the way turn the car off before putting the transmission back into park otherwise it's going to grind again. Regards Rodney

Man I feel stupid, that was exactly what happened, I must have bumped the lever into neutral. Thanks a ton for the help guys, I appreciate it.

carsonmac,
Don't feel stupid; how do you think we immediately knew what it was? :D

-B-

Heh, been there and done that...

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12216;start=msg112275#msg112275 date=1077991067]

carsonmac,
Don't feel stupid; how do you think we immediately knew what it was? :D

-B-
[/quote]

ALSO A GOOD WAY TO (STILL HAVE IT PARKED WERE YOU left it too,)if your parked in some bad place.

1.toggle switch the negative wire to coil,(hidden.)

2.t-case -in N-

3.turn alarm on.

4.leaving at airport,= pull coil wire and hide and or take with you.

Yep, I and can desribe that niose very well and because I rebuild and fit these transmissions and transfercases all the time you would think that I would learn wouldn't you. NOPE! hahaha
Regards Rodney Wholesale Automatics

did niot take me long to do this, On my test drive coming out of 4-low to test the lockers I got the order mixed up and tried to drive off with the transfer in neutral, when the motor revved and I did not go anywhere I realized my first mistake and them immediately made another by trying to put t-case in "H" with tranny still in drive "sreeaeaeaeech" :doh: :slap: :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom