Transmission leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a leak that appears to be transmission fluid. The leak is noticeable where the transmission and engine meet. It is in the same are that a rear main seal leak would be evident. However, it appears to be tranny fluid. Any thought on this?

probably input shaft seal, could be the pump o-ring but that's not usually a leak point. either way you would have to drop the trans so might as well do the rear main at the same time

Make sure it is coming from bell housing weep hole. If transmission is over filled it can cause leaks. You can try AT-205 in transmission. If leak continues, you'll need to pull transmission.

Make sure it is coming from bell housing weep hole. If transmission is over filled it can cause leaks. You can try AT-205 in transmission. If leak continues, you'll need to pull transmission.
Thanks so much for your responses. It is coming from the weep hole in the bellhousing. Was actually a qt low of fluid, so not overfilled. Any negative long term effects from using at-205 in these transmissions?
probably input shaft seal, could be the pump o-ring but that's not usually a leak point. either way you would have to drop the trans so might as well do the rear main at the same time

No AT -205 is same stuff used in manufacturing seal. It puts back what time has leached out.

Note: it is not common for these transmission to leak. Look for cause. I'm concerned something else is going on that cased the leak. But it could just be a fluke.

Thanks so much for your responses. It is coming from the weep hole in the bellhousing. Was actually a qt low of fluid, so not overfilled. Any negative long term effects from using at-205 in these transmissions?
Did you ever figure this out, my sons 98
Is doing the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom