Transmission install tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any tips of getting a trans/transfer case back in the vehicle? I got it down with very little problems and will hopefully be putting it back up my next day off but it's so heavy and off balance. I have a 800lb pittsburgh trans jack. I'm thinking maybe a bunch of ratchet straps around the frame to help hold the TC while installing.

Anyone who has done this on their own got any wisdom to share? Starting to wish I just pulled the engine/trans as one unit 😐

I have not done an 80 but I did put one in my 3rd gen 4runner. The jack is a must and an extra set of hands. I will have to say the 80 trans is a fair bit bigger than the 4runner. You can do it.

I used ratchet straps on the frame. I also put the tranny in first, then the t-case (after the tranny). Make sure the torque converter is fully seated on the tranny, otherwise it won't fit.

Almost forgot. I broke this electrical connectors. I can't find it on parts diagram. Hopefully it's still made?

@cruiserdan @Onur

20210710_141810.jpg

20210710_141820.jpg

That looks like the Neutral Position sensor on the rear extension of the transfer case. Is that correct as I'm not totally familiar with the 91-92 versions of the transfer case? There is a lot of dirt that should be cleaned off but it looks like the sensor switch is broken and needs replacement and the harness side of the connector may be unharmed. There is a Beck-Arnley replacement that will be much cheaper than the Toyota part.

This is the part that has been called out in previous threads for the 93-97 models that may fit but do a search that it fits the 91-92 models.

Amazon product ASIN B001KSCYCI

take your time when installing it and once the bellhousing is mated to the block check that the torque converter spins free and dosnt bind up. if its binding than the converter wasnt fully seated and youll have to take the trans out again

I rented a 4 ton lift to stab the engine, transmission, and transfer case all in at once. That was in my 1997.

I lifted thru the sun roof using a lift beam. The beam goes in thru the tailgate and then you connect the beam thru the sun roof to an overhead support (garage rafters). Then weight the end through the tail gate to counter balance the weight of the tranny. Worked great. Tranny felt weightless as I lined it up to the engine.

Holy crap that was a pain but I have the trans and transfer case back in. Here are my tips.

Tip #1. Hire a shop to do it. lol

If you do decide to do it yourself probably easier to do the whole engine/trans as one unit vs just dropping the trans unless you have a full on shop with a vehicle lift and stuff. Otherwise a transmission jack and a ratchet strap around the end of the transfer case to raise it up level with the jack will get it done just not easily.

I managed to break more brittle electrical connectors so hopefully my splices work. I bought the beck arnley switch listed up above. It fits but the female end of my plug does not fit it. I'll probably end up going down to toyota to get the part or just have them do it for me.

In the end took way longer than I wanted but I was only doing 2-3 hours once a week. I still have to put drive shafts and everything else back on. I'm going to drop the pan and reseal it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom