Transmission input shaft removal - how

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
Removing the input shaft on my H42 tranny FJ40, '76. Have the two snap rings off, and the front bearing. I *think* I've lined up the synchro and the countergear gear as it says in the Haynes manual (1975 FSM is silent to the method) as shown in the photo, but I guess not since it ain't coming off.

image-4044994698.jpg
Synchro (left) and ? Lined up

The Haynes manual shows the counter first gear with a notch in it at the top (upper left of photo #37). Is that what I'm trying to line up?
image-3896153527.jpg
Counter Gear (#37 in Haynes)

Actually, I think I'm misidentifying the Counter Gear in my photo. What the first photo shows looks like the "clutch hub No 2". So I'm not sure what to align.
image-2755467270.jpg
Clutch Hub No 2 (#10 in Haynes)

Dang, I'm confused. What do I do to allow the Input Shaft to slide off?
image-4044994698.jpg
image-3896153527.jpg
image-2755467270.jpg

Last edited:
Further info. The shaft pulls out about 1/4" and then hits a hard stop. Something is blocking its exit, otherwise it would slide right out.

It is NOT the gear hitting the case....

You have to pull the cluster gear bearings and drop the cluster down into the case before you can pull the input and main shaft.

Here to help

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

You have to pull the cluster gear bearings and drop the cluster down into the case before you can pull the input and main shaft.

Here to help

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Aahhhh. I see that in the FSM now. Haynes had more words, which happened to be wrong, and I paid too much attention to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom