Transmission (A750F) Replacement Experiences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
05LC100 with 165K miles. Transmission slips on start from stop and occasionally throws P0771 and P2714 codes, the latter accompanied by limp mode.

Dealership recommends replacing the transmission. I'm going to try to get them to match the McGeorge price on the reman transmission. Their labor rate is $95.

Local independents would install for $65/hour. And I am trying to price a remanufactured A750F, but so far the best I've found is only ~$225 less than the McGeorge price. The McGeorge transmission comes with a 1-year warranty, whereas the "Street Smart" transmission that is cheaper comes with a 3 year warranty.

Assuming the dealership will match the McGeorge price, the dealer would be about $465 more, and would have a shorter warranty. But, the dealer is certain to have everything needed to reprogram or ensure communication between the computer and the transmission.

Is that worth the premium price to the dealer? Or should I have an independent install a reman I found on the internet to save $500?

Flame away!

The people that I trust when it comes to large repairs tend to steer people toward transmissions remanufactured from the Company who makes the vehicle, so obviously in this case Toyota.

If I were in your shoes I would buy the one from McGeorge or local dealer and have either the dealer install or a very reputable shop. Even if you have to have the vehicle towed 2 hours away to get to shop that knows hat they are doing it would none money well spent. My 2 cents.

In my case I live 1.5 hours from OTRAMM, I also have AAA platinum. Anything major that I need repaired I call AAA and have them tow it to OTRAMM, they fix it, then get it towed back.

I hope I answered your question, and did not make it more complex.

Odd that it went out with such low miles. Tough break.

Dealership recommends replacing the transmission
Of course they do...dealers aren’t in the business of diagnosing and repairing these days, only replacing. Many a 100 owner has walked into a dealer with similar issues and left with a hefty bill for a replacement when the problem could’ve been solved with a new shift solenoid...or worse yet, the dealer convinces them to just buy a new vehicle, then the dealer turns around a profit on the “broken” 100.

I would pressure them about doing the FSM diagnostic procedures before agreeing to replace the transmission. See below:

Of course they do...dealers aren’t in the business of diagnosing and repairing these days, only replacing. Many a 100 owner has walked into a dealer with similar issues and left with a hefty bill for a replacement when the problem could’ve been solved with a new shift solenoid...or worse yet, the dealer convinces them to just buy a new vehicle, then the dealer turns around a profit on the “broken” 100.

I would pressure them about doing the FSM diagnostic procedures before agreeing to replace the transmission. See below:

Agreed- I'd look into replacing the shift solenoid and/or then replacing valve body first.

I would love to find testimonials of folks who solved their problems with a solenoid replacement. I've searched this forum and messaged members who said they've previously had the P2714 code. I've not found anyone.

Dealer wants $235 to drop the pan and test solenoids. Master tech thinks I'm crazy because "in 20 years he's never seen that fix one." I told them to do it anyway.

Last edited:
Dealer wants $235 to drop the pan and test solenoids. Master tech thinks I'm crazy because "in 20 years he's never seen that fix one." I told them to do it anyway.
I'd be curious to know in his 20 years how many he actually tried to fix rather than replace. Dealership service departments have a terrible habit of not following the FSM's diagnostics procedures and just jumping straight to replacements rather than repairs...

Closing the loop on this: dealer dropped the pan and tested solenoids. They were within spec. Because of amount of shavings in pan, and age of transmission and expense of valve body, dealer recommends skipping messing with the valve body and replacing the transmission.

I'm glad I pushed them for the diagnosis (at expense of ~$250), but I'm back to replacing the transmission. I've decided to go with the transmission with the longer warranty. The local dealer couldn't come close to its price or match McGeorge's.

Last edited:
Just went through this, cost me 5k total. They ended up taking out my A750f, sending it in, having it rebuilt, and installing the rebuilt one right back in- so technically, I still have the same transmission ha ha. Came with a good warranty, truck is driving great.

Just went through this, cost me 5k total. They ended up taking out my A750f, sending it in, having it rebuilt, and installing the rebuilt one right back in- so technically, I still have the same transmission ha ha. Came with a good warranty, truck is driving great.

Where did you send it in and did they provide you with an explanation as to what the problem was?

I had a cracked radiator where the transmission fluid cycles into the radiator. This created a very slow leak which I did not spot and it caught up to me. By the time I changed out the fluid it was toast. Lots of metal chunks in the pan. So, I am an idiot for not noticing in time and killing my tranny. It was herky-jerky for about two weeks and then TOAST.

Let me get the warranty out, I'll post the details in a bit.

I had a cracked radiator where the transmission fluid cycles into the radiator. This created a very slow leak which I did not spot and it caught up to me. By the time I changed out the fluid it was toast. Lots of metal chunks in the pan. So, I am an idiot for not noticing in time and killing my tranny. It was herky-jerky for about two weeks and then TOAST.

Ouch!

Did you see any pictures of the internals?

The ol’ strawberry milkshake

Mine was rebuilt by Certified Transmission, came with a 3yr/100k warranty. Failure was due to Transmission being out of fluid, friction tore up the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom