(Transition Complete!) Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pics) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you have any problem with the front driveshaft hitting the tranny crossmember? A friend just bought an 86FJ60 with a springover. I know the front shaft and tranny crossmember are a little different than the 84's, but he has a major rub on the upper end of the driveshaft.

Re:(Transition Complete!) Construction Zone: Hard Hat Required (SOA project pic

There weren't any problems at all with the front driveshaft when we did it. We thought we were going to have to notch some stuff for clearance, but it turned out all right.

Shocks are on!!! Some 3/8 thick steel plate (actually was a channel type, but I woulda used flat but I didn't wanna run to the metal store...) and 5/8 inch grade 8 bolts. Viola! For the top of the rears, I moved the bolts 6 inches towards center each and grinded a groove into the head of the 5/8 bolt and stuck it up to the round cross-member and welded away. Not as pretty as it could be, but I don't care--it's under the truck and outta sight. For the bottom of the rear mount I used a 4 inch by 2 inch plate and welded it to the front of the spring perch with one end of the plate flush with the side of the wheel side of the perch, the excess hung to the inside of the vehicle just next the leafs. Welded the bolt towards front and called it good. Ya, it might end up getting hung up, but I don't think it's that prone to getting hit. We'll see.

For the front upper I used the ford shock towers. Drilled two holes in the frame for each mount and bolted them on. Drilling the frame sucks, but I think I like it more than if I woulda just welded them on. The drivers side pretty much fit right in, but on the passenger side I had to pound the underside of the wheel well a bit to get it to fit. No cutting. I refused to cut it because it was sooo close to just fitting. Again, bolted it on. Oh and they were lined up to just behind the edge of the bump stops--if they were on the same planes, they would be touching. For the front lower mounts I used a small section of steel plate/channel again, but this time it is just barely bigger than the bolt head. Welded that straight onto the axle tube. I had to chop the corner of my u-bolt plates that were nearest the shock for clearance issues. And also, the brake lines were all up in my way. Would have preffered to weld them on before I put the brake lines on...

Anyway, the front shocks are Skyjacker Hydro 7000 that extends to 34 inches and compresses to 20 inches. I maximized the mounting so that it's seven inches up travel and seven inches down--I had the local shop tell me which shock length would best fit with the amount of travel I measured and where it sat at rest. The rears are an unknown variety, but they are good and stiff (seemed to be stiffer than the front skyjackers). They measure ~28 inches extended and ~16 inches compressed. Again maximized up and down travel to ~6 inches each way. Turned out pretty swell if you ask me. And I'm definitely lovin' the ride a LOT more with shocks on it...

:D

RRshock6.jpg

Also, on that same flex out where it's rubbing, my steering stabilizer busted off. The bolt holding it to the relay rod busted in half. Of course, looking at the setup and what had happened, I realized that using the stock steering stabilizer mounting positions and configuratons is not a good idea. :eek: :eek: The drag link rotates down waaaaay too far to use the hole in the relay rod end--we just didn't bother to notice that when we bolted it back on. Luckily just the bolt broke off... No big deal, just gonna remount it in a better location. So info (and pics of course :D ) will come soon on that.

-Ferg-

I wonder what how long the longest thread is (besides those "enter to win threads"). I'm defintely going for it though aren't I..... Maybe I'll win an award. Longest thread. Or most pics in a thread by one user...

-Ferg-

looks great man! im having the same rubb on the front fender on full stuff and wheels turned some. Im thinking ballpeen hammer? ??? i dont know. So what do you have left to do? full floater? work on the lockers? i guess remount stabalizer... by the way is that aftermarket? heavy duty?

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=4378;start=msg51325#msg51325 date=1066258074]
I wonder what how long the longest thread is (besides those "enter to win threads"). I'm defintely going for it though aren't I..... Maybe I'll win an award. Longest thread. Or most pics in a thread by one user...

-Ferg-
[/quote]

You could probably win an award for gayest dude with a rad rig, that is all you get. :flipoff2:

Ya. Stabilizer back on, and rear FF and e-locker and wire the sucker up. Actually gonna wire the front one up to get the initial tests and what not out of our ECU design. That'll be it for the SOA and lockers I think. But as to being done with the whole rig... :D I started some project sliders the other day, so gotta finish them. Also started my rear swing out tire carrier about 6 months ago, so gotta finish it as well. And the front bumper needs to be fixed up to how I want it... And I am redesigning my roof rack so it's a little smaller and a LOT lighter... I don't know if I'll ever be done with it all, but I'm shootin' to have it all ready to go for Cruise Moab 2004.

-Ferg-

[quote author=mixmaster link=board=1;threadid=4378;start=msg51330#msg51330 date=1066258402]
You could probably win an award for gayest dude with a rad rig, that is all you get. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Whatever, then your's would be gayest dude that took the gayest longest time on his gay rig... :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom