Transfer case ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gravy conversion-

you'll need the right bolts
29 tooth 16 spline gear (available most anywhere aftermarket)
datsun B210 rear axle bearing
and spacer

rick_d, can you tell me where to get more info on this gravy conversion? I stumbled into a 3spd tcase. If it's as easy as you say I'll slam it in ASAP.

The conversion is fairly simple. here is what you need to go get as stated above.

1) rear input shaft bearing. The bearing you want to get is from a Datsun B210 rear wheel/axle bearing. Just go to Napa and tell them that. It cost me 50.00 bucks but it took a day or two cause they had to order it.

2) You will either need a spacer or the PTO gear for the 4spd tranny(the 4spd tranny should have one or the other in there.

3) the correct bolts (IE either the 3spd bolts or the 4spd bolts) for attaching the transfer case to the trannsmisson...i forgot(hehe) which bolts that i used when i did mine...i had both sets so i just used the ones that worked.

4) You will have to addjust your 4spd shifter linkage to fit the 3spd case...IE the actuator that goes in an out on the nose cone is to short on the 3spd transfer to reach the 4sp linkage so you will have to extend it or you can swap out the 4spd for the 3spd nose cone rod thingy(thats what i did but i had mine all apart)

5) Drive shaft flanges/parking brake...the 3spd and 4spd D-shaft flanges have diffrent bolt patterns...so you can either swap out the flanges on the Tcase for the ones from the 4 spd OR you can get the transfer case end of the 3spd drive shaft and slip that on your 4 spd drive shaft...the splines are the same...you will have a hybrid driveshaft then. 4spd at the Diff end and 3spd at the transfer case end...should be no biggy. I chose to swich out my flanges because i was rebuild the case anyway.

Stew...

Easy stuff. Do as the prior post said. I have found the kit to be cheaper. Sold all over the place for around $150. You can make the spacer for the 4 spd PTO gear or it comes witht he kit. Use the 4 spd bolts to hook it up. better all around and better gearing.

I just finished a 3spd gears into a four speed case. If you are running a 4 spd now, this is the way to go. You retain your drivelines and linkages, plus the 4 spd case is stronger.. It cost me the gear (which you need for both conversions) and one toyota shim. You use all of the spacers off your 4spd and no new rear bearing. The hardest part of the conversion was getting those pesky shims to line up. :mad:

It is the same gear rick_d makes reference to, 29 tooth 16 spline gear to fit the fourspeed output shaft on the tranny. The 3 spd output shaft is 10 spline. So your 3 spd gear that's on the output shaft won't work. The rest of the gears swap straight across.

I got my gear from http://www.extremebends.com and three shims from toyota, #36263-60010, #36262-60010 and #36261-60010. I only used the first shim (the thickest) I also replaced the seal betwen the tranny and t-case. Total cost for me was around $180CAD and that included the oil change. :D

The most important thing to do is to check the output preload setting :eek: The rest is gravy as described. Any LC vendor should be able to get that gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom