Transfer case swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a chance to swap my 78 fj40 4 speed transfer case for a 64 three speed case.I am worried about the strength of the metal on the 64 case,but I want the added gear reduction.I allready have the twin stick linkage so I won`t use the vacuum linkage.Could a transfer case saver eliminate any crack issues?P.S. I have a sm465 and sbc planned,so I will have to buy an adapter somewhere.Any input appreciated.I might be worring about nothing,right?

[quote author=jccruiser78 link=board=1;threadid=5165;start=msg40030#msg40030 date=1063240201]
Could a transfer case saver eliminate any crack issues?[/quote]
Eliminate? Problably not. Significantly reduce the likelihood, probably.

I would hold out for a later model 3 spd TC. The early ones are real brittle. Fine for stock applications but it will snap with a SBC

Been there, cracked that. Hold out or swap the gears to a later case. The t/c saver is good insurance--but no guarentee.

What they said.

Remember that transfer cases take on huge amounts of torque because of the tranny in front giving gear reduction. (that sounds kinky don't it) ... The worst part is the TC isn't going to crack until you really need it and leave you at the mercy of your friends to winch, yank, and tug your rig out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom