Transfer Case Recommendation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got my t-case out of my 12/1978 FJ40 and got it mostly disassembled (long story short, the t-case gave up the ghost on the way home from buying my FJ40). Things look pretty bad. LOTS of metal shavings throughout, and some big hunks of twisted metal. :eek:

pa150046kj8.jpg

The gears on the idler gear assembly and the low speed output gear have deep grooves in the teeth, and the output shaft shows a lot of wear (probably from all that metal floating around). Basically I don't trust any of the moving parts, so would have to replace bearings, gears, shafts, etc... plus the usual gaskets and stuff.

So, what should I do? Here are the options:
  1. Buy all the parts and rebuild mine
  2. Buy a used one and install it
  3. Buy a used one, rebuild it, then install it
  4. Buy one already rebuilt
I emailed a guy here in WA who has one from a 1977 for a pretty decent price. Not sure what shape it's in, don't know its history, and I don't know the guy. Will a 1977 tcase work in my 12/1978? I was looking at http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/cases/cases-fullsize.html and it shows a change was made around 7/1978.

What should I do???

Cheers! :beer:

'77 will be a bolt in swap. Off the top of my head, I think that the difference is a fine spline front output shaft/rear output shaft junction.

Nothing wrong with rebuilding it before you install it. But if it's tight and smooth, and the gears look good, yiu can also toss it in and run it.

Inspect it and make the call then.

Mark...

Nothing wrong with rebuilding it before you install it. But if it's tight and smooth, and the gears look good, yiu can also toss it in and run it.

Good to know about it being a bolt-on replacement. Short of big grooves or chunks missing from the gears, how do you tell if gears are worn (i.e. what do you look for)? Sorry, I'm a noob!

Heavy score marks or less common, discoloration from heat. Deep pitting due to rust (which may not be present anymore, but the damage will still be there).

Mark...

Since you've already 'learned' how to take it apart, I would take the replacement one apart as well, if for nothing else than to inspect the idler shaft. Chances are, it will show some wear. Doesn't mean the whole case needs going thru, but doesn't mean you should ignore it either.

For the cost of an idler shaft and a couple of idler bearings, you could be buying another 10 or 15 thousand miles of longevity.

:)

I have most of a 78 transfercase that you can have, I used the case for my transfercase, but the gears all looked good, even the idler bushings, the pile of parts is missing things like a pto cover and a front output shifter, but all of the gears were there. if you want it you can have it.
I'm 30-40 minutes south of portland

I have most of a 78 transfercase that you can have, I used the case for my transfercase, but the gears all looked good, even the idler bushings, the pile of parts is missing things like a pto cover and a front output shifter, but all of the gears were there. if you want it you can have it.
I'm 30-40 minutes south of portland

Hey, thanks for the offer! Not sure if I can make it down there anytime soon though. If I can I'll let ya know.

Picked up a transfer case from meat today. It looks like it's in good shape, so I'm just going to get some gaskets, go through the parking brake, and bolt it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom