Transfer Case Questions (stoopid questions) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My transfer case is leaking (I think that sounds normal for a 30 yr old fj40) and I am (hopefully) going to remove / rebuild it. Where is a good place to get a rebuid kit? How extensive is the job tech & hours wise? Any red flags I should look for while I am in there or as I open it? Any tips for someone trying this (manual does not say much) And lastly - is there any way possible to remove the transfer case and still drive the thing? ( in case the job takes me weeks instead of hours / days)

What manual are you talking about? A factory chassis and body manual is the best reference material for this. I hope you have one, and if not, I would get one before you try to do this. It talks you through the operation step by step, and explains all the procedures.

And no, you will not be able to drive your truck, with the t-case removed. Have you looked under the truck, at how this is configured? All of the drive power from the engine, passes through this component, it is very critical to the operation of the Land Cruiser.

Hope this helps!

-Steve

I've bought all that stuff from Toyota here in Canada 'cause the gov't taxes everything that comes in (Free trade? What's that?).
It's not too expensive. Plan on a weekend to do the rebuild if you're decent with mechanics and have access to a press.
There is NO WAY to drive the truck without the transfer case. The transfer case seals the transmission oil in, not to mention the driveshaft needs to connect to something!
Decide also on the bearings as they are not necessarily stock at your local Toyota dealer or bearing house.

No-- I do not have the factory manual - just an aftermarket that cover a decade or so. Where can I find the factory manual?

[quote author=mattcobb link=board=1;threadid=7416;start=msg61916#msg61916 date=1068602132]
No-- I do not have the factory manual - just an aftermarket that cover a decade or so. Where can I find the factory manual?
[/quote]

Any of the larger suppliers here in the US have them, if you are in good with a Toyota dealer, try them, or E-bay. There were pleanty of Toyota manuals out there last week.

-Steve

Or call Skip 800 848 4451 he can get you what you need, as could a couple others out here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom