Transfer Case Leak, SM435 & 4Speed LC transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Transfer Case Leak, SM465 & 4Speed LC transfer

My transfer case leaks like there is a hole in it, all over the $%#$ driveway.

It leaks from the parking drum.

Last week I pulled it all apart to replace the rear seal. I forgot to drain the tcase. When I pulled the drum off like 3 qts of fluid spilled out, wayyy more than should have, IMO, (This was in my driveway which is like 6* slope and pointed nose down). Checked the transmission and it was very low.

Soooo..... looking at the SM465 schematic there is a seal for the output shaft (pic attached). Mine does not have the output adapter, I have the Classic cruisers plate adapter.

Do I need a transfer - to - trans fluid transfer tube thingy?

Found this:

IH8MUD.com - View Single Post - T-Case/Tranny fill hose connection set-up?

SM420's and SM465 owners...

On my SM420, oil transfer was an issue. The 420 and 465 have a fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission, so making a similar hose kit required that I drill a hole in my PTO cover, and weld a -8 Male JIC fitting in the cover, at the correct level, which if you have your transmission full, you can drain it, and the high oil mark will be left apparent with residual oil, or you can measure from the bottom of the case to the fill plug hole, and then measure that distance on the other side and mark it. I was lucky and made the first style work for me.

Either of these fittings will require that you drill a 3/4" hole in the PTO cover on the transmission.
SM465_rear_seal.jpg

Last edited:
The input gear of the transfer case has a seal that should prevent gear lube transfer. The NP435 rear seal and bearing retainer plate are probably removed to use a plate adaptor.

Edited the subject line from SM435 to SM465.

Replaced the transfer case input seal and still having the same problem after about a month.

Could I have a blocked breather? Could I just take it off and see if the problem comes back?

Thanks.

Replaced the transfer case input seal and still having the same problem after about a month.

Could I have a blocked breather? Could I just take it off and see if the problem comes back?

Thanks.
If you want to install a tube between the 2,
should't that be installed between the fill plug hole of the transfer case and the drian plug hole of the transmission?

Hi All:

Take the fill plugs from the SM465 and the Land Cruiser t-case to a hydraulics shop.

Explain that you are seeking fittings with the same thread size and pitch. Attach said fittings with a hose of the approximate length.

The idea with the transfer hose is when the transmission gets over-filled (that is, will drain from the fill hole) any excess gear oil will flow back to the t-case.

Regarding the steady drip from the parking brake, talk with Gary at Mudrak Custom Cruisers for one of his custom double-seal output housings.

MCC - Mudrak Custom Cruiser

Good luck!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom