Transfer case leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some oil dripping from the highlighted locations (I wiped them before the picture,duh)
Is this a gasket? Or a seal?
Any tips on its repair?

57D27BA9-3E51-4E5F-8845-8CBE1FB0E06F.jpeg

Maybe the case is over full. Check the tranny, it may be pumping its oil into the transfer case. Speedo housing top, parking brake bottom.

A local hose shop should be able to make it pretty easily

Yes that does ring a bell. The parking brake drum usually leaks because of groves worn by the seal lips on the surface. Maybe there is a speedy sleeve for that.

I'm working on my 72 FJ, that has been sitting since 2010 - starting to think FJ again.

When the seal between the trans and tcase fails the tcase pumps its oil into the trans. The bypass hose referenced is good insurance even if your seal is still good. There is a speedy sleeve available for the rear drum. I think cruiser bros offers a machined rear seal housing that accepts 2 seals in the housing. The OP's pic circled the speedo cable. I think there is a O ring on the shaft that drives the cable.

Yes that does ring a bell. The parking brake drum usually leaks because of groves worn by the seal lips on the surface. Maybe there is a speedy sleeve for that.

I'm working on my 72 FJ, that has been sitting since 2010 - starting to think FJ again.
I just replaced my output shaft seal with speedisleeve - this can leak a lot and will soak your hand brake shoes. See link below.
It also leaks very slowly from the big Central nut that holds the drum in place (behind the prop shaft) and this just needs a bit of sealant on the shaft - quick fix.
The speedo cable should be above the level unless your internal seal is gone as suggested above - how much is it leaking?

I just replaced my output shaft seal with speedisleeve - this can leak a lot and will soak your hand brake shoes. See link below.
It also leaks very slowly from the big Central nut that holds the drum in place (behind the prop shaft) and this just needs a bit of sealant on the shaft - quick fix.
The speedo cable should be above the level unless your internal seal is gone as suggested above - how much is it leaking?

Not a very active week, just a drop or so. Thanks for the info.

Not a very active week, just a drop or so. Thanks for the info.
If its coming from inside the drum / back plate then I'd buy the parts and replace the seal before it fails.
If its coming from outside then I'd put a piece of cardboard on the garage floor and be glad that it's a toyota :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom