Transfer Case Knob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to figure out what knob fits the transfer case shift cane in my ‘74 40. At some point, the transmission and transfer case have been swapped- I think the original transmission/transfer case in a 1/74 build should be a 4 speed with a one piece flywheel inspection cover (I have a two piece. Or one of the two pieces), and the knob in the picture below on the bottom. The threading on that knob is too small for the threads on the shift cane. I ordered a new one to be sure. The knob on the top was suggested as an alternate, but the threads are way too big.

Is there a 3rd option I am unaware of? Any help appreciated.

29933D8B-7AFA-435B-A4B1-C09FDB9C7D77.jpeg

I‘ll have to figure that out. Shift knob appears to be the same as was on my 60.

Is there a 3rd option I am unaware of? Any help appreciated.

yes, early knobs, up thru 1980, were very small and long, no pics at work, the top is small and has no display on it, it is just a black knob

resurrecting this thread since I now own this FJ40. What does this crew advise me for a new T-case knob that might fit my new ride?

What does this crew advise me for a new T-case knob that might fit my new ride?
I know this much about this one. It's hollow up top with a glued on cap. About two decades ago the cap came off a new one of these and got lost. The morning dew eventually rusted up the shifter threads. Out of frustration I cut off the threads, ground & threaded the shifter to 1/4-20 and got a generic solid knob that had a brass insert. That worked great & lasted till I recently changed the T-Case & shifter. So I'll try the OEM knob again but if it fails again I'll do the same mod with "THIS" or "THIS"

T-Case Knob.jpg

yes, early knobs, up thru 1980, were very small and long, no pics at work, the top is small and has no display on it, it is just a black knob
Pic or link of the 3rd option here? I am only finding the 2 the PO purchased and didn't fit

Determine the thread size & pitch. The PO may have re-threaded it.

No rethreaded by me (immediate PO). And does not appear to have been rethreaded in the past.
You still don't know if you have the stock shifter for your year. It could have been changed. I very recently selected the best pieces out of 3 shifter setups I had on hand, and now have no idea what I've got installed but it works good. If you determine & post the thread size you're more likely to get help.

Picture of the shifter versus possible knob would be helpful. There is an earlier big wide knob used on the FJ40. It has the same pitch as the small knob pictured. There is a 8/80+ 40 series version with the small pitch as the 60 series pictured above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom