transfer case help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started tearing apart my transfer case on my 1980 fj40. The shifting forks are toast I called the toyota dealer here and asked if they could get them (toyota part number I believe is 36-311). The dealer said they do not make them anymore. Is this true, and if so is there anywhere I can find them.

marks off road hes a vender here and probably can help good luck

thanks shelfboy1 for the help. i think he has the piece I am looking for. hopefully I will be able to get the part by the weekend.

What toasted them?? only the forks??

I'm not sure how they got toasted, but after looking at the forks only the one that engages it into 4 wheel and 2 wheel is toasted. the other that engages into high and low is ok. Maybe just shifting between 2 wheel and 4 wheel too much???:confused:

Not likely.

I would suspect that the linkage was corroded and stuck in such a position as to cause the fork to constantly put pressure on the shift collar, combined with a lower than recommended oil level, creating the wear.

Did you find a shift fork?

If you have trouble finding one, you can build up the wearing surface with brazing rod. The bronze may last longer than the original cast fork as long as you don't run low on gear lube.

I have found one from a guy in town that has a few landcruisers himself. I believe he said that the one he has is out of a 75 fj40 which I think will fit.

What month was your cruiser made in. There was a switch in part number starting in August 1980.

For the transfer fork #1 (hi/lo I think)

3/69 - 7/80 36311-60030 shows as no longer available
8/80 - 10/84 36311-60041 shows as still being availabe (MSRP $53)

For the transfer fork #2 (4WD)

3/69 - 7/80 36312-60011 shows as still being available (MSRP $50)
8/80 - 10/84 36312-60030 shows as still being availabe (MSRP $53)

Confirm your build month and which forks you need, then check with cruiserdan for availability, if you want to purchase new. These part numbers are for the shift forks only, not the shafts or the pins that hold the fork onto the shaft.

I have found one from a guy in town that has a few landcruisers himself. I believe he said that the one he has is out of a 75 fj40 which I think will fit.

Good to hear, should work just fine.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom