Transfer case hand break question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Right here it goes

My 1975 Fj45 has a 2f with a 4-speed and a one piece (old) t-case in it. I am wanting to put a Pto winch on the front, I have the winch and shafts but have been unable to find a early model Pto box here in NZ.

So last night a picked up a layer model Pto box from a mate so I need to find the best way to get a later model t-case into my truck.......

I know a guy with a 5 speed which will mate up to my engine buts it's a later model t-case with vacuum 4x4 , I am fine with that but can I swap my t-case hand break onto the back of the new box? Or would I have to also swap in s later model rear diff to have a hand break?

Is there anything preventing the switch?

Which model t-case would be the best to look for, are there any major differences between the models?

Or does anybody know how to make a late model Pto box mate up to a early non-split t-case?

a few things to consider with some of those options, 60 and 70 series 5 speed's have the shifter further back than 40 series 4 speeds so if you want to put a 5 speed in you'll have to try and find the non existent top cover off a rare bj42 LX or cut a new hole further back in the floor and bend the shifter lever to try and get it to clear the seats or stick a 350 chevy in it so you can shift the engine and gearbox forward to get the shifter to line up. The 5 speed is a longer box so you'll find if you've got a carden handbrake on the back of the transfercase it will fowl on the tube crossmember behind the transfercase, you have to play around and tilt the drivetrain to get it to clear (that's how a fj40 works I don't know about a fj45 crossmember). If you use a transfercase with a vacuum actuator you'll find its a bit too wide for the chassis/frame rails my 40 has had the inside of the rail notched for the actuator diaphragm to sit slightly inside the frame (the gearbox has also been lowered slightly for the diaphragm to line up inside the frame). If you want to get the handbrake onto the rear wheels you can do either a disc conversion or swap out the axle housing to one with rear a handbrake, in NZ it was only the last couple of years that we got rear handbrakes on 40 series cruisers and it may only have been the fj45's that got them, if you want to swap the axle housing out it would be far easier to find a 70 series axle (mid 1980's to mid 1990's) and put that in rather than searching for a 40 series one, the 70 series axle is the same width as a 40 series the only difference is the spring perch spacing you have to cut the perches off and shift them slightly to fit the 40 series. If you do the later axle swap for the handbrake I don't know if you would get enough leverage off the handbrake lever under the dash to clamp the brakes up but that would only be another minor problem to resolve if that was the case. You can still find the early PTO's if your patient and do a bit of asking around. If you want to do a rear disc conversion with handbrake I've got some spare Subaru callipers in the shed and you can buy the brackets from howat engineering in wellington I think the brackets are $60 each or $60 a pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom