Transfer Case Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a bolt on the bottom of the tcase, with a drain pan underneath, take the bolt off and let it drain. When it is fully drained, put the bolt back in. On the backside of the Tcase about 3/4 of the way up on the drivers side, there is a bolt sitting in the middle od the plate. Not quite middle but its not one of the bolts arond the edge. Take that out. You should be able to stick your finger in a hole and feel inside the Tcase housing cavity. Fill with 90W Gear Oil (through that hole) until it is about to start coming out the hole. Put the bolt back in.

Buy 4 qts of Gear oil, it will use 3, but with squeezing the bbottles, you may need a 4th qt jsut to make sure its full, This will leave you extra.

I recommend Mobil 1 or Red Line.

This process should be outlined in the haynes or FSM manual.

Last edited:
One caution when changing fluids in the T-Case or the front/rear diffs.: Remove the fill plug FIRST!

There have been cases where someone drained all the fluids first, only to discover that they could not get the drain plug out.

I thought when I changed mine two days ago that it only took a little under two quarts till it started spilling out the filler hole?? I actually measured how much went in and it seemed about 1.7-1.8 quarts.

boekppl said:
I thought when I changed mine two days ago that it only took a little under two quarts till it started spilling out the filler hole?? I actually measured how much went in and it seemed about 1.7-1.8 quarts.

You may be right. I was thinking of the last time I changed the fluid in my diff I needed 4 bottles. When I did the Tcase, I had switched to Red Line and buy the stuff in Galon jugs and use a pump.

Still, when buying qts, you should get one more than you think you need. Just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom