Transfer case drum parking brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I need a course how to get around in here. Thanks for suggesting @orangefj45.
I am building a BJ45 from a lot of parts. I have a rusty rolling chassis, a rusty cab and 2 drive lines. 83 3B motor and 5 speed transmission with split transfer case and an 82 3B motor with 4 speed transmission and split transfer case. The floating rear axel has no parking brake. So I need a drum parking brake kit for the transfer case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way if anyone has a nice FJ45 frame I can use that too.

If you have a 8/80+ rear axle probably convert it to hand brakes using 60 series parts. Not sure how expensive those are in Canada verses importing hand brake parts from the US. The split transfer case hand brake uses three different parts than the mid 63 to 7/80 one piece transfer case. Generally people are only buying those three pieces and using the rest from one piece transfer case they are up.

The rolling chassis is from a 1978 FJ45. The FJ 60 setup I think is the same as on my BJ42 and I do not like those brakes. That is why I am looking for the transfer case drum brake. I forgot something. I also have a 1978 4 speed transmission with transfer case and transfer case drum brake from a FJ40 with broken motor. Would I be able to bolt that transmission/ transfer case onto a 82/83 3B motor?

trans from an "F" block will not work on a "B" block

most people think the park brake on the rear axle, late 40 and 60 series, is a big upgrade to the earlier transfer case park brake

With trans do you mean transmission or transfer case? So the bellhousing does not fit?

it is the bellhousing and the input shaft of the trans that is different.
2 different styles of transfer cases, the 1 piece needs to stay with earlier transmisions, the later split case needs to stay with later transmisions. you can not mix and match the 2 styles. each style can go on any trans in the correct year range, it doesn't matter whether it is an "F" or "B" trans

Thanks for the info. I have never taken them apart. I am learning as I go.
I have talked to Valley Hybrids. They have the parts/ kits for the split transfer case drum brake. I ordered from them. I will keep providing info on how it goes. It will be a slow and long process as I have just had total knee surgery.
Thanks again for the help and info.

What are the 82 and 83 setups out of BJ42s or BJ60s. I see your biggest challenge getting the transmission and transfer case mounted. Front motor mounts in a FJ45 will not match up to a 3B. Rear mount is under the transmission not on the bellhousing. If your 82 and 83 transmission and transfer case combos are from a BJXX your already set. If you don't like the 60 series hand brake not sure why you think the one on the transfer case is better.

The hand brake on the 82 bj42, 83 bj42 and 82 bj60 are all same. They have the little levers on the backing plate of the rear drum brakes. I just do not like those levers sticking out there and the cables hanging there exposed. I also prefer the under dash hand brake setup instead of on the transmission tunnel.
Those levers are always seizing up in our Ontario winters with the amount of salt that is being put on our roads. I hope that will not be an issue with the drum brake on the transfer case. On the bj42's the rear mount is under the transmission, on the 82 bj60 it is also under the transmission.
I realize that for the fj45 I will have to relocate the motor mounts which I can take from the 82 bj42 chassis which is only for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom