Transfer Case Adapter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am adding a Chevy small block and sm465 tranny(10 slpine output)to my 78 fj40 and am confused as to the best/cheapest way to adapt to my 4 speed transfer case.Plate style or AA/Downey,I am into doing it right.Also,whats up with the Orion case from AA?

There are so many different ways to go about what you are trying to accomplish. What is the primary function of your rig and what type of offroading do you want it to do. Trail rig? Rock crawler? Mudder? Is it also a daily driver?
Also, best is seldom ever cheapest.

Thanks for repling.Cost is not the biggest factor here and I am not a rock crawler but do take my rigs to central Baja every March.I am really into strong.funcional rigs with decent low range and some sand capabilities.My other truck is a 1982 yota 4x and I love its abilities.

Seeing as you are going with the SM465 you won't have any trouble with low gears. The stock 2:1 reduction is bullseye for sand, trail, and light crawling. I would go with the AA set-up. Good quality, fit, and hardware. They are very good for backing their product and are the most experienced in the field. In our group there are a half dozen cruisers and no two are alike but most all are using AA products with no complaints. Get all the info you can before you start and the whole swap can be done with a minimum of effort.

Why not just use a Marlin Toy box insdead of the AA Adaptor? It is about the same length and about $200 more. You can always use lower gears, even in Baja.

Do you still have the same high range with the dual reduction cases?Are they the way to go?$200 more might be worth it!

[quote author=jccruiser78 link=board=1;threadid=4488;start=msg33665#msg33665 date=1061446224]
Do you still have the same high range with the dual reduction cases?[/quote]Yes.
Are they the way to go?
1:1, 2:1, 3.44:1, & 6.88:1. It only adds 5".
$200 more might be worth it!
Check with AA for pricing and details. They have pics and info on their site. Check em out at www.advanceadapters.com

Hey,thanks for your advice.What is the easiest install,Rock Box,Toy Box,Plate adapter,or standard AA adapter?

I am going to recommend some serious reading for you. Go to the tech links and read the rockbox article by Dave Safford. Then read every single article about the V8 swaps and trannys. That will keep you busy for a while and you'll probably come away with most of your questions being answered. You'll also come up with new questions. It will help alot if you buy the appropriate manuals to go with the parts you plan to install. SBC & SM465 = Chevy truck manual. Enjoy the reading. :D

SM465 with a 10-spline can ONLY be mated directly to your 4-speed case with a AA adapter. the input on the case is 16 spline. Other option is to use the Classic Cruisers plate and switch to a 73-older t-case.

IMO, either the AA doubler or the Marlin doubler are the hot ticket. Both have advantages, and I know people with both that are very pleased. Road speeds are untouched, and you get lots of low range options. Only issue can be rear shaft length, but swap rear springs end for end and the 3.5" length change should take care of any short-shaft issues.

The banana rating for all the options is relatively the same, each has differences and issues to work thru.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom