Tranny trouble? Electrical or what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 96 fzj80 recently started slipping from D to L.
At first I could trick it by bumping from L to 2 then to D.
Eventually after a few outings (this is not my DD) it will go directly to L when put in D. Only way to get out of 1st is to put it in 2 and 2nd. It will shift from 1-2 and back when in 2 but that's top gear. 35-40 mph at 3000 +/_ rpm.

Any thoughts? Ideas where t o begin?
Trans doesn't and didn't make any funny noises and goes between 1st and 2nd fine.

Local and reliable trans shop said it's likely and electrical problem that he didn't care to delve into. (Very busy shop with two old fellas doing the work)

Disconnect the harness from the side of the trans and drive it shifting manually up and down. If all works properly, you have a electrical issue, usually a solenoid(s). There are 4.

If you don’t have a FSM , get one. It will help you tremendously as your 80 ages.

I am from up near Traverse City originally.

Last edited:
Along with the big Toyota factory service manual that covers everything on your truck, Toyota also made a smaller service manual that just covers the transmission, it has even more detailed information in it.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Disconnect the harness from the side of the trans and drive it shifting manually up and down. If all works properly, you have a electrical issue, usually a solenoid(s). There are 4.

If you don’t have a ln FSM , get one. It will help you tremendously as you 80 ages.

I am from up near Traverse City originally.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what this guy said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom