Tranny replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trusty A440F is wearing out, larger tires and offroading and what not are taking its toll. I reckon I've got about a year left with it before the flare up gets unbearable. I want to keep an automatic, and I do like the A440F...is there any good places to get one rebuilt with a little valvebody work in the states, or am I gonna be needing to do some slowboating to Australia? I wouldn't mind going with a domestic auto, as long as it will be worth the extra effort. Anyone replaced their tranny, or had it rebuilt yet?

Hmm,
Seeing how you have built your rig I would think you would want to concider a diesel swap. Just import a 1hdt with the trans mated up:)

There are no domestic autos IMHO that will last as long as a A440F. Rodney does excellent work. There was a Taco or Tundra forum talking about a tranny shop building A340s and doing valve body work.

lagwagon- wouldn't a GM 4L80E do as well or better than an A440F? I hear nothing but great things about this tranny, it is quite a bit larger than the A440F, and it is used in more heavy duty applications than the A44X series of trannies. Rodney himself always says great things about it in his "Ask Orto" section.

I really don't know about the 4L80s. I used to work for Ford and pulled out new trannies all day long. I am sure there are good GM trans builders, but they just don't last the 300 or so that I have found with the A440f and A442F. I have 232K, 254K, and 275K Cruisers with stock trannies. Rodney sends them here and then you send your core to his container in Pomona, Ca as I recall.

Who was doing the tranny rebuilds? Any has anyone shipped their tranny down under and had it reworked?

I do know that a company in NJ (forgot the name) was doing heavy duty valve body rebuilds on LC trannies.

Kirk imported a heavy duty VB for his monster 80. Perfect fitment.

I'd recommend a 343.

;)

Who was doing the tranny rebuilds? Any has anyone shipped their tranny down under and had it reworked?

Yes, I purchased an Extreme Transmission A442F and torque converter from Rodney for my 1990 HDJ81 after overheating mine and damaging the torque converter and oil pump body.

http://automatictransmission.com.au/extreme_a442f.asp

He keeps a stash of cores ready to rebuild, when an order comes in, he rebuilds one and ships it, and the customer returns their old one.

It was expensive and I was off the road for a couple months, but I think I did the right thing; check back in a couple hundred miles and I'll let you know.

-Steve

It was expensive and I was off the road for a couple months, but I think I did the right thing; check back in a couple hundred miles and I'll let you know.

How expensive are we talking?

You know you'll end up rebuilding it.

I need to take a pic of the 343,442, and 440 next to each other. the 343 is tiny in comparison.

I don't know of anyone in the states that has put the time and effort into the VB like Extreme, and I serious doubt that they could match what Extreme can offer. Save up the pennies and buy the best.

i am surprised that no one in the states is top notch on rebuilding a cruiser tranny. I guess it's because they hardly ever wear out or break. Still, does a "rodney" not exist in the US?

What about Robbie? I know he's a motor guru for the 80s, but can't he wave his magic wand on transmissions too?

I rebuilt the tranny in my parents 1994 FZJ80 for only $5000.00 (heavy sarcasm there), at a shop in Colorado Springs. You're better off locating a lower mileage tranny out of a wrecked vehicle, or considering alternate options. But it was nice because a month later my insurance company said they would cover the cost since it has full coverage insurance. I just paid the deductible which was $500.00:cool:

Who is your insurance co? No questions asked they just paid for it! Wow that sounds too good to be true.

i am surprised that no one in the states is top notch on rebuilding a cruiser tranny. I guess it's because they hardly ever wear out or break. Still, does a "rodney" not exist in the US?

What about Robbie? I know he's a motor guru for the 80s, but can't he wave his magic wand on transmissions too?

I don;t think it is because they don't wear out, but more that there aren't really that many of them in the states.

Trusty A440F is wearing out, larger tires and offroading and what not are taking its toll. I reckon I've got about a year left with it before the flare up gets unbearable. I want to keep an automatic, and I do like the A440F...is there any good places to get one rebuilt with a little valvebody work in the states, or am I gonna be needing to do some slowboating to Australia? I wouldn't mind going with a domestic auto, as long as it will be worth the extra effort. Anyone replaced their tranny, or had it rebuilt yet?

Tony at Rancho Drivetrain rebuilt my A340 5 years ago, still going strong behind a blown 1FZ. Don't drive it that hard but no problems - knock wood.

Heres his site. Don't know where you call home, but he's good enough to ship it to him I think. He works with many big-name race teams, builds his own race trans, etc.

http://www.ranchodrivetrain.com/

Dan.

that option looks closer than shipping to Australia.

I would advise, regardless, that Alky start pinching pennies if that tranny is dying. Personally, I would grab one out of a junkyard and throw it in after cleaning it really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom