Tranny clunk. What it is? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,
I'm asking so many questions here at MUD I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome!

So I found the source of another noise. As I get one noise resolved I can hear the next loudest thing. :rolleyes:

There is a clunk in the 3 speed tranny. In 1st and 2nd gears, going from coast to throttle, or throttle to coast, there is a clunk you can hear and feel. No clunk in 3rd gear! Thats a clue huh :D

Also, there is movement in the stick shift when the clunk happens, only in first and second (maybe reverse). Noticable movement in the stick, maybe an inch front to back. Other than the clunk the tranny works and sound fine.

So, a rookie guess would be a worn thrust washer or bearing that allows a shaft to slide front to back?

I'm just mostly curious what the cause would be, and if its something that is terminal, or might this tranny last a while....
These trannys are cheap, so I'm mostly just curious, and wondering if I should start keeping an eye out for a good used one.

Thanks a lot, AGAIN :)
Brian.

Oh yea, any chance it is a loose nut on the output shaft or something else minor?
TIA!
B.

Last edited:
If there really is no clunk in 3rd gear, then it would seem to indicate some kind of problem in the transmission counter shaft/cluster gear.

Tranny clunk. What it is?

It is a sign.

A sign that your transmission is tired of being behind that 327 and is going to need some attention, or be replaced with something a bit more up to the task.

Have you changed the gear oil in the transmission/transfer case?

What kind of jack factory do you have on the magnetic drain plug/s?

Heya' Pin,
That makes sense. I looked at a diagram and see there are thrust washers at each end of that shaft. Maybe they are squeersh'ed.

Poser,
Afraid I'm you're right. I'm sure this tranny won't last forever being run hard.

Well, it got fresh gear oil and not much metal on the drain plug. Guess its on borrowed time :meh:

Thanks again guys! :beer::beer::beer:
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom